Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dan_25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2018
Hi,

I am a content creator and I use Adobe Lightroom, Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X

I have a MacBook Pro and I am looking at utilising TB3 to create a desk setup to use external drives for my content creation. I have the 256GB internal drive for OS and programs and getting an iMac is not an option.

I’m thinking something like this;

Drive 1- 2TB SSD: most recent images for editing in Lightroom, current video projects in FCPX along with source material and current music projects for Logic Pro

Drive 2- 500GB SSD: Lightroom Cache and library, FCPX Cache and Logic Pro Cache

Drive 3- 10TB HDD Array- Archived photos from Lightroom (to be exported as JPEG when needed), completed videos and completed music.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

LS417

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2009
Hi,

I am a content creator and I use Adobe Lightroom, Final Cut Pro X and Logic Pro X

I have a MacBook Pro and I am looking at utilising TB3 to create a desk setup to use external drives for my content creation. I have the 256GB internal drive for OS and programs and getting an iMac is not an option.

I’m thinking something like this;

Drive 1- 2TB SSD: most recent images for editing in Lightroom, current video projects in FCPX along with source material and current music projects for Logic Pro

Drive 2- 500GB SSD: Lightroom Cache and library, FCPX Cache and Logic Pro Cache

Drive 3- 10TB HDD Array- Archived photos from Lightroom (to be exported as JPEG when needed), completed videos and completed music.

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Assuming by 10tb “array” you’re referring to Raid unit for the archive portion, looks good.

For the ssd’s, depending on what res your source files are you may want something faster than a traditional SATA ssd. You can check out Glyph’s atom raid ssd, I use these for editing 4K footage in fcpx. I get consistent 800-900mb/s read and write and didn’t have to drop $$ on nvme.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.