Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2005
I know my Quicksilver G4 (2001) does not support internal drives bigger than 128GB.

But what about USB or FireWire drives? Are they also limited to 128GB?

Are USB drives truly plug and play regardless of what you plug it into? Reason I'm asking is that I will get a Wii later this year and I'm hoping that eventually the Wii will support external USB-drives for storage and it would be nice if a drive bought today will work for my mac, pc and Wii all at once.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
But what about USB or FireWire drives? Are they also limited to 128GB?

No, they are not. It's only a limit on the IDE bus.

Mac sure your Mac supports USB2.0 before you invest the cash into a device that has USB2.0.

And your issue isn't necessarily about whether the Wii will support plug&play, but what filesystem format it will support.
Hopefully (and probably) FAT32. Because that will be the easiest way to get Mac/Windows support out of your external.

captan

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2005
No, they are not. It's only a limit on the IDE bus.

Mac sure your Mac supports USB2.0 before you invest the cash into a device that has USB2.0.

And your issue isn't necessarily about whether the Wii will support plug&play, but what filesystem format it will support.
Hopefully (and probably) FAT32. Because that will be the easiest way to get Mac/Windows support out of your external.

Thanks for the quick answer.

My mac has just USB1.1 unfortunately. But it does have Firewire400 - I'm thinking that a combined Firewire/USB drive could work. Firewire for the mac and USB2.0 for the PC (which does not have firewire).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.