Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dailygrind81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
I have a 2 TB Western Digital Elements usb hard drive that I'm trying to connect to my iPad Pro that has iOS13 beta 2 installed on it. I am using a VaVa thunderbolt hub and also connected a power source to it. When I connect it to my MacBook Pro, I have no problems but when I connect to my iPad, it won't even show up on the Files app...Any suggestions?

bradbomb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
I have a 2 TB Western Digital Elements usb hard drive that I'm trying to connect to my iPad Pro that has iOS13 beta 2 installed on it. I am using a VaVa thunderbolt hub and also connected a power source to it. When I connect it to my MacBook Pro, I have no problems but when I connect to my iPad, it won't even show up on the Files app...Any suggestions?

Common Misconception, although Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C share the same connector, they are not the same technology. You need to make sure you are using a USB-C hub and not Thunderbolt 3 hub

dailygrind81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
Well it turns out I was using a usb hub. This is what I am using:

VAVA USB C Hub, 8-in-1 USB C Adapter with 4K HDMI, 1Gbps RJ45 Ethernet Port, USB 3.0, SD/TF Card Reader, 100W Pd Charging Port for MacBook/Pro/Air and Type C Windows Laptops https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QQ11BP6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_FbyeDb180SHPD

My external hard drive is formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case sensitive, Journaled). I even tried connecting it to a standard usb 1 > C converter and it still won’t show up under Files. When I first connect the drive, I see the little blue logo pop up on the top next to the WiFi signal status bar and then it disappears. What am I doing wrong?

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
HFS+ is definitely supported. OP, did you use an encrypted file system? Do you know how the drive was partitioned?

Some hardware (usb hubs) support seem to be hit-or-miss. Some of it has to do with power, clearly, but not all of it. Would it be a great difficulty for you to purchase Apple’a usb-c to usb-a 3.0 adapter to try? That would help rule out some things.

dailygrind81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
There is nothing special about the partition, just regular. Non encrypted. I am going to try to convert the HD to APFS and see if that works...

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
OP, if you do not care about the partition/volume . . . then, I would try to erase all the partitions, and create a new one. Maybe that is what you mean by convert, but that is not the same thing--there is actually a way to convert HFS+ to APFS. It is non-destructive, though I think almost everyone would tell you to ensure you have a copy/backup of everything you need.

I am not sure this list is exhaustive, but to be clear, with Dev Beta 2 (should be the same as Public Beta 1), I have confirmed that AFPS, HFS+, Fat32, and exFat all work. I have had some trouble with things I have partitioned very carefully to a fair-the-well, though (like 10+ partitions). I am not yet sure why. Maybe they are standard for gpt partitions and iOS/iPadOS only support a certain number of partitions . . . maybe mbr standards are better supported or something. I'm not sure . . .

Reactions: Donfor39

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Elwe, have you confirmed that that HFS+ (Journaled, Case Sensitive) works and not just HFS+ Journaled?

No, I have not confirmed/tested a case sensitive HFS+ filesystem (neither journaled nor without a journal). Only HFS+ journaled.

dailygrind81

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2019
I had a HFS (case sensitive) journaled filesystem and it was not working with the iPad ios13. I converted it to an APFS in disk utilities and now it works perfectly! thanks Bradbomb~

dcmaccam

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2017
West Coast of Scotland
I have an iPad Pro (not one of the newer ones). If I had a mains powered external drive should I be able to connect it to my iPad Pro. I have the adapter that has lightning in, USB3 in and lightning out ports. At the moment if I plug this into my iPad Pro, connect a lightning cable to my iMac to the lightning in of this adapter for power and then plug a usb memory key I get the message that it can't be used as the device uses too much power.

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I have an iPad Pro (not one of the newer ones). If I had a mains powered external drive should I be able to connect it to my iPad Pro. I have the adapter that has lightning in, USB3 in and lightning out ports. At the moment if I plug this into my iPad Pro, connect a lightning cable to my iMac to the lightning in of this adapter for power and then plug a usb memory key I get the message that it can't be used as the device uses too much power.
If it is a 12.9” model you may need more power than what the iMac provides

jonnieboy

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2014
Hi. Does anyone here is able to help me test if Sandisk Extreme Portable SSD works with iOS 13 on ipad pro? Able to view the files on the SSD?

Thank you! :)

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
I just plugged in my Lacie portable for the first time. Wow, amazing! It showed straight up and I could navigate files & watch video files straight off the HD. Game changing for me.

I'm finding LaCIe Porsche hdd isn't being powered when using usb c cable direct to iPad Pro
Please recommend a hub or adaptor.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Mine is showing up when I connect using the Apple USB-C - usb adaptor but not when I use my hubs

Excellent I have trip to Apple store tomorrow miss aligned camera
is there such an adaptor usb C to usb C
[doublepost=1561723077][/doublepost]@MacDonaldTrump

Does this suffice

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NCCJV86/ref=tsm_1_tp_tc

Maybe this which includes dual usb c
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Delivery-Standard-Worldwide-Interchangeable/dp/B07NS9BS2S

Last edited:

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Todays my lacie 1tb is powering up-'Contents not available cannot read the storage media'
Wish I took it to Genius Bar who demo'd an external ssd booting up via my ios13 pb1,
Come home with 64gb. Usb C flash drive.
I suspect as I'm using the lacie with win10 then it won''t be formatted for iOS

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
OP, if you do not care about the partition/volume . . . then, I would try to erase all the partitions, and create a new one. Maybe that is what you mean by convert, but that is not the same thing--there is actually a way to convert HFS+ to APFS. It is non-destructive, though I think almost everyone would tell you to ensure you have a copy/backup of everything you need.

I am not sure this list is exhaustive, but to be clear, with Dev Beta 2 (should be the same as Public Beta 1), I have confirmed that AFPS, HFS+, Fat32, and exFat all work. I have had some trouble with things I have partitioned very carefully to a fair-the-well, though (like 10+ partitions). I am not yet sure why. Maybe they are standard for gpt partitions and iOS/iPadOS only support a certain number of partitions . . . maybe mbr standards are better supported or something. I'm not sure . . .

Non developer pb1.
I'de like to know if there are any formats that can be done via win10 i3 laptop.
This would be for my LaCie 1tb Porsche external usb C drive which currently powers up via pb1 though content cannot be read (it's probably NTSF' for laptop)
It can be re formatted if it's possible via windows 10 before connecting to iPad

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Are scandisk usb c flash drives actually iPad/iOS 13 compatible
This thumb drive was recommended by genius and isn't being recognised by iPad files

How dare I criticise Genius Bar -I found thumb drive hadn't clicked into place.
Since showing nicely via iPad files!

Last edited:

Elwe

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2006
Non developer pb1.
I'de like to know if there are any formats that can be done via win10 i3 laptop.
This would be for my LaCie 1tb Porsche external usb C drive which currently powers up via pb1 though content cannot be read (it's probably NTSF' for laptop)
It can be re formatted if it's possible via windows 10 before connecting to iPad

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Yes. If I remember correctly, both Fat32 and exFat are options you can choose.

Reactions: Donfor39
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.