Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atx_knepp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Austin, Texas
So I had an old school maxtor 3000dv external HDD, 60gb 7200 RPM drive on the inside, firewire 400 ports on the outside. I saw a seagate 250gb internal hdd on sale today and so i grabbed it, 60 dollars. i took out the old hdd and installed the new "internal" drive into my old "external" drive casing/enclosure, and it finally mounts, but it says that it is only a 128 gb hdd, anyone know what is going on and how i can fix it?

atx_knepp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Austin, Texas
ya, i've tried formatting using several different programs, and no luck, just 128 capacty, with like 112gb of free space :(

Anyone know any fixes?

AvMac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
Singapore
ya, i've tried formatting using several different programs, and no luck, just 128 capacty, with like 112gb of free space :(

Anyone know any fixes?

Get yourself a new HD enclosure.

I guess the circuitry on you case can address a max of 112 GB of disk space only.

Karpfish

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2006
it may be that the enclosure is made for the maxtor hd, and it wont recognie more than 128gb for any other dirves

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
It could be, but usually it doesn't matter what brand the drive is, just whether the case is capable of seeing larger drives at all. I agree that a new/different case might be a good idea, but make sure it's capable of being used with larger capacity drives. :)

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
you could try partitioning the drive.. didn't that used to fix the capacity limit on the old powermac G4s? does anyone think this would be along the same lines?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Take a look at this link. There seems to be a driver to overcome this issue.
http://www.speedtools.com/ATA6.shtml

That'll only work with internal drives:

Q. Will this driver fix capacity limitations with older FireWire cases or PCI ATA Cards?
A. No. For this driver to work, you will have to connect your drive directly to your computer's ATA bus to get the full capacity of the drive.

atx_knepp

macrumors member
Original poster
May 9, 2005
Austin, Texas
So is there a way for me to update the firmware to support LBA48? And i would assume that you mean the ATA/Firewire bridge on the case itself correct? So is there even a way to update tht firmware?

AvMac

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2006
Singapore
Firmware upgrades (hacks) were available only for the old HD enclosures that had the Oxford 911 chipset when Maxtor introduced the 160 GB HD.

Maxtor uses its own logic board in their 3000dv HDD enclosure. So there might not be any firmware upgrade available. From the article below, it seems like Maxtor themselves added a hack to their logic board and introduced new HDD enclosures to accomodate disks with capacities larger than 128GB.
www.wiebetech.com/pressreleases/ATA6firewire.htm

Now the only other way to check is to partition the drive into two 125GB partitions and check if they are accessible. I have my doubts that it will work. But its worth a try.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
So is there a way for me to update the firmware to support LBA48? And i would assume that you mean the ATA/Firewire bridge on the case itself correct? So is there even a way to update tht firmware?

It'll be cheaper for you to spend the 20 bucks on a new enclosure than waste time/money researching other ways.

Go down to your local "Mom and pop" PC shop and they will have a great enclosure for you to slap that drive into.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.