Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

longgonesam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2014
I made a stupid yesterday. In an external HD dual dock, I attempted to move data from one external HD to another HD in the dual dock. I had ample space to make the transfer. Unfortunately, instead of copying the desired data to the targeted HD, it made a clone, thus, overwriting the data existing on the target drive. Any leads on getting the original data recovered from the targeted disk?

iPhone 7, MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
overwriting the data existing on the target drive

If the disk was completely full and was overwritten then you are out of luck. If there was a lot of free space it might be possible to recover something in the free space. Not likely worth the effort.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Agree with HDfan above.
You could try one of the "data recovery apps" out there, perhaps try a few of them.
Most of them will run in demo mode and give you a chance to see if any of the data is "recoverable" before you pay the registration fee.

But again, my guess is that you're going to get next-to-nothing of the original data back.
I'd get rid of the dual dock, or buy a second "single" dock to prevent such a mishap again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.