Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

falcoboy7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2004
I have actually never backed up my files before so I am kind of new to this. Do I buy an external hardrive and hook it up via firewire and copy everything? I'd appreciate it if you could recommend a certain model and some suggestions would be nice.

blodwyn

macrumors 65816
Jul 28, 2004
Portland, Oregon
falcoboy7 said:
I have actually never backed up my files before so I am kind of new to this. Do I buy an external hardrive and hook it up via firewire and copy everything? I'd appreciate it if you could recommend a certain model and some suggestions would be nice.

An external drive is the way a lot of people go, including myself. Almost any USB2 or Firewire unit will work, and there are plenty of postings from people asking for recommendations - LaCie and Maxtor are worth checking out. Alternatively you could buy an empty external enclosure and a hard disk and put it together yourself in about 5 minutes.

As for doing the backup itself, I use Chronosync to do it automatically. A lot of people use CarbonCopyCloner and SuperDuper. There are plenty of choices, it's a matter of personal preference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.