Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrjoedot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Asean market
Hi, I managed to set up my HD for Time Machine. the pain point I had is to connect the Time Machine HD to my Mac every time I get home.

Does anyone have a way to set it up like a Time Capsule via Wifi Router or other wireless method?

Handoff

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
You're looking for a SMB compatible NAS. Make sure your router supports it though

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
You have a couple options:
  • Buy a NAS as @Handoff suggested. Make sure to do some research and buy a good one.
  • Use a WiFi router that supports USB drives.
  • If you have more then one Mac in your household, use another Mac computer as your wireless backup point. I personally use my iMac as my wireless backup point and it works great.

Mrjoedot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2012
Asean market
You have a couple options:
  • Buy a NAS as @Handoff suggested. Make sure to do some research and buy a good one.
  • Use a WiFi router that supports USB drives.
  • If you have more then one Mac in your household, use another Mac computer as your wireless backup point. I personally use my iMac as my wireless backup point and it works great.
You're looking for a SMB compatible NAS. Make sure your router supports it though

thanks both. gotta research on those

Armere Caruso

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2020
I just got a 2019 MacBook Pro I was using by 2012 MacBook Pro with a 4 Tb WD my book external hard drive so I have the back up of everything on my 2012 on the wd my book how can I keep all buy storage on the wd and run my storage from that and just boot the os from my new MacBook Pro its only 256 ssd gb installed so yeah

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.