Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bmur22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Canada
I hope this in the right place, forgive me if its not. This isnt really a problem, im just curious. When I was in school last year I used my external maxtor drive to store all my work. When I plugged it into the Mac at school the icon that came up looked like my hard drive. I just got my first mac, and when I plug in the same drive, it shows up with a plain orange firewire icon.

My question is, do I have to download the icon from a third party site or should it recognize what kind of drive it is and give it the right icon automatically?

bmur22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Canada
I know how to change my icons, thats not an issue. Its an external maxtor drive, and on the mac at school it showed up with an icon that looked like my external drive. I guess Im just wondering why it might show up with a different icon on my computer. Im 99% sure that there werent any downloaded/third part icons on the school computer as it wasnt even online. Like I said, this isnt a major issue or anything, Im just a curious switcher :)

bmur22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Canada
Im not sure, but chances are, no. I know it was running OS X, so I guess I just assumed that the icons wouldnt have changed. Guess I was wrong....sorry!:eek:

bmur22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Canada
I noticed you can download Lacie icons right from apples website. Anybody know where I can get maxtor icons? I would really love to have an icon that looks like my actual hard drive. I have searched everywhere but cant seem to find what Im looking for.

bmur22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
Canada
Yeah, I have tried that site. And your right, they do have some nice stuff. However, not what Im looking for. Im specifically looking for maxtor icons. Im beginning to think such a thing does not exist and that what I saw at school was just my imagination :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.