Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killsapo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Milan, Italy
The other day my external usb hd unplugged accidentally and the usual pop up appeared; usually all is fine except the day after the disk was nowhere to be mounted or seen, neither in Disk Utility or /var/volumes for that matter.

I then ran disk utility in Recovery Mode and all disks are fine (the external is hfs+ journaled), I also checked it with terminal commands.

But when I reboot OS X the disk still does not appear (for no user on my iMac).

I also plugged it to other macs (to recover its contents) and checked it there with disk utility: no problems at all.

I then initialized it, plugged it back to my iMac and still nowhere to be seen; I tried’em all: terminal, data rescue softwares, other disks in the same usb enclosure (they all work) etc. and it’s only THAT disk with THAT iMac.

I suspect it has to do with some low-level system s**t that I dont know how to deal with… the disk seems as if blacklisted…

Running latest high sierra on a late 2013 iMac.

What am I missing?

thnx in advance

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You tried erasing the drive, right?
So... you're not worried about losing anything on it?

I'd take it to one of those OTHER Macs that it worked ok on.
Then -- erase it on one of those.

Then try it on yours.

One other thing (and it's very basic):
Have you gone to Finder-->preferences-->general
To be sure that there is a check in "external disks" ??

killsapo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2018
Milan, Italy
You tried erasing the drive, right?
So... you're not worried about losing anything on it?

I'd take it to one of those OTHER Macs that it worked ok on.
Then -- erase it on one of those.

Then try it on yours.

One other thing (and it's very basic):
Have you gone to Finder-->preferences-->general
To be sure that there is a check in "external disks" ??

I erased it on another mac, 'cause it was impossible to do anything on it on my main iMac, not being able to see or find it anywhere.
And still is, the disk is nowhere to be found (but shows up in any other mac) while other external disks are just fine on either mac. :\

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.