Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danny S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2021
I have a 21.5in iMac mid-2011 running High Sierra 10.13.6 with external Thunderbolt 2 Seagate Backup Plus Desktop Drive. The drive recently stopped working. I've had this drive running almost nonstop for 5 years. Even when I shut down my iMac, the drive was still plugged in and powered up. It appears the internal power plant fried (no lights, no sounds, etc). I removed the HD from it's case and it is a SATA Seagate Barracuda 3000GB. I purchased a USB 3 Insignia 2-Bay HD Dock from Best Buy, popped the HD in, hear it whirring and spooling up, but the "drive light" on the Insignia never lights up, flickers, etc and the iMac never sees the drive. I've followed several tut's suggesting to go into Disk Utility and it's not there either.

I assume the Thunderbolt aspect of the previous housing is not the cause. I wonder if the USB 3 is a problem for my iMac (USB 2).

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome

Danny S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2021
Yes, I have a WIN 7 machine. I'm installing the WIN 1.4.0.7 now

Last edited:

Danny S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2021
After install, I rebooted and connected the USB Drive Hub. Win 7 sees the hub and installed a USB driver for it automatically. The Sea Tools app sees my internal drive but not the HD in the USB hub.

Danny S

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2021
Tried diff USB ports, unseating/reseating drive in USB Bay, tried both slots, recycled power, rebooted PC, etc.

No sign of the HD in Sea Tools.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I have a seagate backup plus that I could hear the drive spin up, then a few seconds later, can hear it spool down, bad drive. I went to the Seagate support page, typed in the serial number for the drive, and got the drive replaced under warranty. Maybe you could try the same. I think it is a 5-year warranty, maybe you are still within that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.