Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Hi guys - I don't know what happened but I can't mount my external HD anymore (it has external power source, so it's not that, plus it turns on).
This is what Disk Utility Shows:

GAq7qU.png

PeA7BD.png

I noticed the Owners: Disabled. And this is what I see if I run diskutil from terminal to get info:

RlsCUf.png

This is what I get if I try to mount it or do anything else:

ngeRiL.png

MAMiJ3.png

pyF8Sg.png

Any other idea? My bet is that it is due to some permission issue... I just don't know how to solve it.

I run El Capitan
[doublepost=1456800362][/doublepost]Another piece of the puzzle:

$ sudo diskutil verifyVolume /dev/disk2s2

Started file system verification on disk2s2

Verifying file system

Invalid content in journal

Journal need to be replayed but volume is read-only

Checking Journaled HFS Plus volume

Invalid B-tree node size

The volume could not be verified completely

File system check exit code is 8

Error: -69845: File system verify or repair failed

Underlying error: 8: POSIX reports: Exec format error

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Assuming you did not do anything that brought this on and it just happened spontaneously, and based on that failed verification, I'd say you have a bad drive. You might try selecting the drive itself (not the Untitled partition) and reformatting, but that would erase the data of course.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Can you post the result of
Code:
diskutil list disk2

Try this also:
Code:
diskutil verifydisk disk2

‘Owners disabled’ is no reason for concern. It is disabled by default and only used when you need file permissions on an external drive. I think only Time Machine uses this by default.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Plugged straight into Mac, not into some hub or other?
Those have been known to cause odd behaviors.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
I ended up using Diskwarrior. After crunching its stuff all night long it was able to recover a good chunk of the data, although structurally it is a complete mess.

Of course, the hard drive is not to blame. I am to blame for not having an updated backup (cloud or not) which would have prevented me a data loss and a panic attack.

Lesson learned.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
And I would also suggest to avoid Seagate. As well as WD. They are not famous for their reliability. Hitachi drives are pretty good right now.

HGST (formerly Hitachi Global Storage Technologies) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Western Digital. Although the sale took place in 2012, it was only last October that WD has been allowed (by Chinese regulators) to start fully integrating the company. So if there was a quality difference, don't expect it to last. My last (literally and figuratively) Hitachi drive started having problems less that a couple of years into use (used for media storage, not OS use), less than any Seagate or WD drive I've used for that purpose. Doesn't mean HGST is bad, just how variable the HD experience is from person to person.

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
HGST (formerly Hitachi Global Storage Technologies) is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Western Digital. Although the sale took place in 2012, it was only last October that WD has been allowed (by Chinese regulators) to start fully integrating the company. So if there was a quality difference, don't expect it to last. My last (literally and figuratively) Hitachi drive started having problems less that a couple of years into use (used for media storage, not OS use), less than any Seagate or WD drive I've used for that purpose. Doesn't mean HGST is bad, just how variable the HD experience is from person to person.

Yeah I know that. And yes, there is a difference in reliability according to some tests (see Backblaze reviews for example). Hopefully WD will improve their quality with the purchase of HGST (let's hope...).

Anyway, to avoid problems, backups, backups and backups. Buying drives from a good brand can also help. G-Drives from G-Technologies are a little bit more expensive, but not by much, and runs Hitachi drives and also have a 3-years warranty. I think that two years of additional warranty i worth the extra ~30$ (€ in my case). Of course the warranty won't recover your data, so you have to be sure that you have enough backups depending on the importance of your data to you.

Reactions: yaxomoxay
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.