Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dennismarquez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Germany
Hello!

My most loved and most used extern HD has suddenly become a Read Only HD in El Capitan.
It's not that big of a deal since probably it will fix itself in future updates, but I was wondering if someone has a solution already? Thanks in advance!

spkpqs.png

Reactions: SeamusBerkeley

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
NTFS? If what I remembered was correct, NTFS is in read-only mode under Mac if you don't purchase third party apps to gain r/w access.

Mine has no issue, but because I have installed Paragon NTFS Driver for it.

You may try to restart your Mac, and sometimes the issue may be fixed. Temporarily, though.

These betas have issues on using USB device, including USB 3 and USB 2 device, and some peripherals.

dennismarquez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Germany
Thanks for your reply. A restart didn't help.
Like I said, my "most loved and most used" hard drive. I've been using it for months. Definitely not Read Only before.
But I'll be patient and see what happens.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thanks for your reply. A restart didn't help.
Like I said, my "most loved and most used" hard drive. I've been using it for months. Definitely not Read Only before.
But I'll be patient and see what happens.
So are you using third party apps such as Paragon NTFS Driver to access NTFS volume? If so, you may try to install its latest version and see if it would help.

Before reinstalling such third party drivers, disable Rootless in recovery mode first. And don't forget to re-enable after completing installation.

umzyi

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
UK
So are you using third party apps such as Paragon NTFS Driver to access NTFS volume? If so, you may try to install its latest version and see if it would help.

Before reinstalling such third party drivers, disable Rootless in recovery mode first. And don't forget to re-enable after completing installation.

You mean I can instal Paragon NTFS and other utilities by disabling Rootless in recovery mode and once I have installed NTFS driver I can go back re-enable rootless? Will it carry on working after enabling Rootless?

Thanks

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
You mean I can instal Paragon NTFS and other utilities by disabling Rootless in recovery mode and once I have installed NTFS driver I can go back re-enable rootless? Will it carry on working after enabling Rootless?

Thanks
It works for me, and I hope it will work for you.

dennismarquez

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Germany

I read your comment today but already installed Paragon yesterday after a google search for drivers and it worked right away. Didn't need to do any Rootless disabling or anything. Everything is working perfectly fine again. Thanks!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I read your comment today but already installed Paragon yesterday after a google search for drivers and it worked right away. Didn't need to do any Rootless disabling or anything. Everything is working perfectly fine again. Thanks!
Glad to see your issue has been solved. Paragon NTFS Driver is one of those great NTFS driver for users constantly requiring Windows and Mac access, such as me.

But you say you didn't do rootless disabling during install? I DO need to disable it before installing it, otherwise, it will never work. Feels strange on your side but this driver works for you, and that is the greatest. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.