Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Hello all!

I use a seagate external HD for my itunes library and since updating to 10.11 yesterday, Its been broken. Its telling me that I do not have write privilages on this drive. Any idea how to fix this? Or do I just need to wait for a more stable version of 10.11?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hello all!

I use a seagate external HD for my itunes library and since updating to 10.11 yesterday, Its been broken. Its telling me that I do not have write privilages on this drive. Any idea how to fix this? Or do I just need to wait for a more stable version of 10.11?
I install a third party software to gain dead and write capability on my WD my passport external drive. I think, if you have already formatted your disk as a Mac partition, you should not encounter any problem. Mine is formatted in ntfs format, and I cannot change the partition type easily.

ravipiero

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
If your external HD is in NTFS format, under Mac it's read only. You need to buy paragon NTFS Mac to gain write privilege.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I may be completely offbase here, but the OP said that the drive does not work since upgrading. This leads me to beleive that the drive worked for both read and write before the upgrade and hence it is obviously not formatted for NTFS.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I may be completely offbase here, but the OP said that the drive does not work since upgrading. This leads me to beleive that the drive worked for both read and write before the upgrade and hence it is obviously not formatted for NTFS.
I think it could be better if we can hear direct confirmation from op.
My ntfs is ok because I have bought paragon software for this purpose.

CKohkah

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 10, 2008
Yes, it was working forboth read and write before 10.11

I have paragon for NTFS as it came with my Seagate drive. I ran it again last night. Still nothing. Could it be that 10.11 wont reconize the drivers for the HD? Inoticed that before the upgrade the HD showed up looking like what my hard drive looking like and now it just shows up as a orange type drive on my desktop.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yes, it was working forboth read and write before 10.11

I have paragon for NTFS as it came with my Seagate drive. I ran it again last night. Still nothing. Could it be that 10.11 wont reconize the drivers for the HD? Inoticed that before the upgrade the HD showed up looking like what my hard drive looking like and now it just shows up as a orange type drive on my desktop.
I suggest you can get the latest version of this paragon ntfs. I use the latest version, and I don't see any obvious issue in my mac OS X El Capitan.
For icon problem, this might be a hidden file inside your hard drive controlling the icon appearance just like desktop.ini in Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.