Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceJam1123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
Hi everyone. So I have an iMac (27-inch, Late 2009), 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. I'm currently updated to OS X El Capitan 10.11.5.

My internal hard drive recently failed and I replaced it with a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD. After replacing the hard drive and reinstalling the OS everything was working fine. I have a 3TB Toshiba external HDD that I have been using for years. It was working fine after replacing the internal drive and also after updating to 10.11.5. After a few days I decided to change my Admin Username through system preferences > Users and groups > Advanced Options and changed "full name." After this change, I received an error that said my external HDD could not be opened because it was un readable by the computer.

I can still see the EX. HDD in disk utility, but cannot see it in Finder.

- I checked finder preferences and EX. Drives is checked

- I tried unplugging the Ex HDD and reconnecting

- I tried plugging ex drive into another mac and received the same issue

- I tried "first aid" in disk utilities and received "operation complete" message

It appears that when I changed the admin username it repartitioned my ex HDD.

All of my content is still on the HDD and I would like to make it readable again without formatting.

I downloaded a trial of Stellar Phoenix Data Recovery program, ran scan, and I can see my files, but I don't want to pay $100 for the software to recover the files if I don't have to. Does anyone have suggestions?

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
You mentioned it all messed up after you changed your admin name, but we do not know the two are related.

I see no evidence in your post pointing to a necessary relation between the two.

If you're using an external spinning disk, those things fail all the time.

I'd recommend you consider that HDD just died on itself.

Reactions: Weaselboy

SpaceJam1123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 30, 2016
I just mentioned that the problem occurred immediately after I changed the Admin name because I thought it may have caused the problem. The hard drive hasn't failed though. Disk utilities can see it, The mac just can't read it as if it's in a format that the computer doesn't understand.

varian55zx

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2012
San Francisco
I just mentioned that the problem occurred immediately after I changed the Admin name because I thought it may have caused the problem. The hard drive hasn't failed though. Disk utilities can see it, The mac just can't read it as if it's in a format that the computer doesn't understand.
It has to be formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.