Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
After a fresh install of High Sierra on my MBP, all my external backup drives are giving me Error: “The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. (Error code -43)”

I am guessing its because my external drives are formatted using "mac os extended journaled" and not "APFS"?

What are my options now?

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I don't think that APFS is required to keep your Time Machine backups going, because I haven't upgraded to APFS. (In fact, I know it's not, because I'm running on HS and my Time Machine backup is running right now). Take my experience with a couple grains off salt, because there could be differences between your MBP and my iMac. For example, you might have an SSD (I don't), your HD might be APFS (mine's not).

I'd look elsewhere for your solutions to your problems, not re-formatting your drives.

PicnicTutorials

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2013
After a fresh install of High Sierra on my MBP, all my external backup drives are giving me Error: “The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. (Error code -43)”

I am guessing its because my external drives are formatted using "mac os extended journaled" and not "APFS"?

What are my options now?

My external drives are all messed up too cuz of High Sierra. I’ve been reading for days. I believe I read that APFS changes the hard links to the drives. So that may be why. Also Time Machine won’t even work as of now formatted APFS. So that’s a bust trial and error. I too was maybe going to convert my drives to APFS but can’t because I obviously use them also for Time Machine. So I’m left in a lurch.

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
This APFS file system change is embarrassing.

Now I am forced to revert back to the older file system... :(
[doublepost=1507054152][/doublepost]
I don't think that APFS is required to keep your Time Machine backups going, because I haven't upgraded to APFS. (In fact, I know it's not, because I'm running on HS and my Time Machine backup is running right now). Take my experience with a couple grains off salt, because there could be differences between your MBP and my iMac. For example, you might have an SSD (I don't), your HD might be APFS (mine's not).

I'd look elsewhere for your solutions to your problems, not re-formatting your drives.

I do have an SSD and when installing the new OS, it formatted it APFS.

This must be the reason its not working...
[doublepost=1507056306][/doublepost]APFS is 100% at fault here.

I can't believe Apple would drop the ball on such a HUGE issue. WTF?

deafgoose

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
I am a HUGE fan of everything Apple but this is insane.

First time I've ever downgraded my operating system... Total joke.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
All of my external HFS+ Journaled drives work perfectly, and I have many of them. My boot SSD is APFS with High Sierra.

However, I do not use Time Machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.