Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Square-Eyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
i bought an Apexel macro lens for my phone, simply because there was something specific I needed to photograph up close and it seemed a good candidate. Afterwards …of course… I realised that I didn’t know which iPhone camera was best suited. Ultrawide I guess not. I got good results with the 24mm but could the 77mm be better?

Everything is pretty fiddly moving and aligning stuff so… is there an accepted wisdom for matching these add-on macro lenses to the iPhone or is there no straightforward answer?

thanks in advance!

Square-Eyes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2018
Just to be clear, I have the iphone 15 Pro. But a general answer is interesting too!

coolguy4747

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
The 24mm will be able to provide the best quality if you can get the framing you want. I have not used the lens and I don't know if it can keep up with the higher resolution offered by the iPhone 15 main camera. I have a couple ("M-series, previous generation) Moment lenses; they are really good for phone lenses, but their shortcomings are now apparent with 48/24 MP photos from my 15 Pro. The T-series is supposedly improved for these sensors. I haven't used their macro lens, but I understand it to be pretty good.

In any case, your best bet will be to use a tripod and carefully place everything, because as you noticed things get very finicky at that close range. Any little tripod should work if you're careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.