Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
Using a mic for first time with my mid-2015 MacBook Pro (running latest Mac OS). I understand the "headphone" jack doubles as audio-in. But when I plug in my mic (via stereo mini jack of course), I don't see new input options in Sound panel of sys preferences. No "line audio" option.

I do have Soundflower installed....not sure if that's hurting anything.

Help!

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
I see something about support for the Apple headset with remote and microphone on the Apple Spec site but you’ll probably need an USB audio interface to use your mic with your MacBook Pro

jordii

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
So the headphone jacks on >2015 MBPs no longer take audio-in?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asks:
"So the headphone jacks on >2015 MBPs no longer take audio-in?"

According to this page at everymac.com:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/...-mid-2015-retina-display-specs.html#macspecs2

"Dual internal microphones on the left hand side of the notebook. Has a single headphone jack that also supports audio line out (digital/analog) and the Apple iPhone headset with remote and microphone."

So I'm going to -guess- that the ONLY mic that works "through the audio-out port" is the one described above.

That is to say, a "standalone" mic won't work. (or perhaps one with a "conventional" plug)
You're going to need something that works via USB - to which you can connect a mic input.

Lots and lots of devices out there that will do that.

Reactions: jvlake

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
I'm pretty sure that the single 3.5 mm jack on 2015 MBP is output (such as headphone) only. At one point it was dual purpose (and previous to that there were both input and output jacks), but input went away around that time. A plain microphone in never really worked as this was a "line in" port. So people either bought an audio interface device, or a USB mic. If you have a mic you want to use, get the appropriate audio interface device, such as from Blue or Shure. Really, the skies the limit on these devices.

jvlake

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2019
I'm pretty sure that the single 3.5 mm jack on 2015 MBP is output (such as headphone) only...

The 2015 MBP 100% has TRRS based audio IN, the problem is that the switching mechanism for the port is tied to the Apple AHJ/CTIA proprietary "standard". So when you plug in wired Earpods (white apple brand ones with a microphone that sounds like the loose change rattling in your pocket) then the audio IN settings change from internal to external, just like it should. The total kick in the balls is that other non-Apple TRRS devices like an iRigPre (or even other headphones with *mics, splitter cables, etc) won't be seen as "real" line-input devices and the audio IN will remain in internal mode.

So either A: It was an intentional design and Apple are being dicks by using vendor lock-in in an exceptionally dumb way or B: The developers choose to switch the mic port based on some requirement that turned out the be Apple specific, in which case they're incompetent.

It's not going to keep me up at night, but it makes me angry.

iPhone users will recall for a time that Apple blocked the ability for third-party lightning cables to transfer data, then due to the backlash they allowed data on non-Apple cables but nagged you with a scary warning pop-up each time you plugged it in (ooh, so dangerous Apple, scary 3rd party products that WORK), shame they weren't smart enough to do that for the audio-in!

*The microphone in the Earpods actually outputs line level audio at the jack, the pre-amp is built in.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilparadosso

ilparadosso

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
The 2015 MBP 100% has TRRS based audio IN, the problem is that the switching mechanism for the port is tied to the Apple AHJ/CTIA proprietary "standard". So when you plug in wired Earpods (white apple brand ones with a microphone that sounds like the loose change rattling in your pocket) then the audio IN settings change from internal to external, just like it should. The total kick in the balls is that other non-Apple TRRS devices like an iRigPre (or even other headphones with *mics, splitter cables, etc) won't be seen as "real" line-input devices and the audio IN will remain in internal mode.

I've been searching for days, and this is the best explanation of the issue I've seen. Actually, it's the only one I've seen. Everyone else just points to the issues but have no actual info about it.

So, what can we do? Is there a software patch that can fix it? I plan to call Apple, but is there anything they can actually do at this point?

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
The explanation is mistaken. It has nothing to do with being "proprietary". You can use a Xbox or PS4 or Plantronics any other "standard" TRRS (single plug) headset.

What is going on is that to detect the microphone input, the sound chip looks for the specific impedance of a microphone. So you must both use a TRRS connector; you cannot plug in a pure microphone without an adapter, and you must use a microphone with the correct impedance, typically around 1-2 kohms.

It is the exact same situation on all modern computers that have a single audio jack, my Dell laptop and even a Lenovo desktop at work does this. Apple just is using the built in detection of run-of-the-mill Realtek audio codecs. This is also the same on smartphones, including Samsung.

The real answer is if you're not using a headset, you need to use a USB audio interface. The jack is designed for headphones or headsets, not line-in or mic audio.

Reactions: GermanSuplex

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
The explanation is mistaken. It has nothing to do with being "proprietary". You can use a Xbox or PS4 or Plantronics any other "standard" TRRS (single plug) headset.

What is going on is that to detect the microphone input, the sound chip looks for the specific impedance of a microphone. So you must both use a TRRS connector; you cannot plug in a pure microphone without an adapter, and you must use a microphone with the correct impedance, typically around 1-2 kohms.

It is the exact same situation on all modern computers that have a single audio jack, my Dell laptop and even a Lenovo desktop at work does this. Apple just is using the built in detection of run-of-the-mill Realtek audio codecs. This is also the same on smartphones, including Samsung.

The real answer is if you're not using a headset, you need to use a USB audio interface. The jack is designed for headphones or headsets, not line-in or mic audio.

Thanks for this. Was racking my brain trying to figure out why crap headsets work but not true mics.

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland

Does this mean that AHJ/CTIA TRRS jack in a macbook can input both 1-2kohm mic level signal AND line level signal (if apple's earbuds really have built it amplifier and outputs line level signal from mic)?

kohlson

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2010
As you're aware, getting audio into a MBP is full of pitfalls. If you're looking for a way to plug in a 3.5 mm mic, get an inexpensive TRS to TRRS adapter cable. Rode sells one for USD15.
There are also "breakout" adapters that provide both 3.5 mm mic in and headset out. Note that if you plug in one of these, then you have to use a headphone to hear anything.
As noted above, if you want more control/options, get a USB audio interface/mixer.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Does this mean that AHJ/CTIA TRRS jack in a macbook can input both 1-2kohm mic level signal AND line level signal (if apple's earbuds really have built it amplifier and outputs line level signal from mic)?

No, that is another mistake. All electret/MEMS microphones have an amplifier. Apple, as is standard with non-junk inline headsets today, uses MEMS microphones which have their own completely different output and bias characteristics. The chip the MEMS microphone is on has its own circuitry to amplify and output a signal that's similar to conventional electret microphones (~10 mV/Pa).

The analog EarPods interchange with other phones and devices except for the volume up/down buttons (but the hangup button should work).

There is an issue of OMTP. Ignore that; it was an incompatible standard forced by the Chinese government on phones sold in China and is not relevant in other countries.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Macbook Pro 3.5mm jack supports only headsets with Mic, such as Apple earbuds etc. My Sennheiser Momentum 2 Mic-wire iOS friendly headset works just fine and records too. Standalone 3.5 mm mics are not supported per se. For them, you can use a simple USB adapters 3.5mm to USB (made by Sony, for example).

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
Macbook Pro 3.5mm jack supports only headsets with Mic, such as Apple earbuds etc. My Sennheiser Momentum 2 Mic-wire iOS friendly headset works just fine and records too. Standalone 3.5 mm mics are not supported per se. For them, you can use a simple USB adapters 3.5mm to USB (made by Sony, for example).
2012 mbp was the last one to have separate 3.5mm minijacks for audio-in and audio-out.
Using 4-pin trrs-plugs have been quite undocumented feature for years.
I've got plenty of different headphones, so I'm gonna buy audio splitter cable and would like to know why some of those work and some don't. Usb-dongle is also ordered...

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
2012 mbp was the last one to have separate 3.5mm minijacks for audio-in and audio-out.
Using 4-pin trrs-plugs have been quite undocumented feature for years.
I've got plenty of different headphones, so I'm gonna buy audio splitter cable and would like to know why some of those work and some don't. Usb-dongle is also ordered...
If you intend to use headphones, all 3.5 mm jack headphones work just fine with modern MBA and Macbook Pro. All headsets (headphones plus mics) with 4 pin TRRS cable also work just fine. All 3.5 mm to USB sound adaptors also work fine, even cheapest ones.

It is only if you want a standalone 3.5 mm mic, you may need a splitter. I think instead of splitter, you should just go straight to USB adaptor for 3.5 mm jack, since both mic and headphones will work with it, saving money to buy the splitter with unpredicted results. 3.5 mm to USB sound adaptor is really cheap.

Easiest way, though, is just a USB mic.

Reactions: toke lahti

toke lahti

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2007
Helsinki, Finland
If you intend to use headphones, all 3.5 mm jack headphones work just fine with modern MBA and Macbook Pro. All headsets (headphones plus mics) with 4 pin TRRS cable also work just fine. All 3.5 mm to USB sound adaptors also work fine, even cheapest ones.

It is only if you want a standalone 3.5 mm mic, you may need a splitter. I think instead of splitter, you should just go straight to USB adaptor for 3.5 mm jack, since both mic and headphones will work with it, saving money to buy the splitter with unpredicted results. 3.5 mm to USB sound adaptor is really cheap.

Easiest way, though, is just a USB mic.
I have half a dozen old, but pretty good headphones that have 2 x 3.5mm plugs.
I know that usb is the easy way (creative's dongle is €25 at local computer supermarket, I'm waiting for my covid quarantee to end...), but the splitter is only €5, so I will try which work with it. Splitter could be then used in some other old mac.

This thread has educated me with google that these headphones which have separate miniplugs, usually have cheap dynamic mics and that's why they don't work with macs, but they do with pc's. Apple somehow restricted these to not work, maybe because they sound so bad, when you have to amplify the signal so much or there is signal loss because of long and thin cord.

Maybe there was generation shift in headphones that when they moved to trrs, then it was expected that the device give them that minimal amount of electricity that electret/MEMS need. And before dual plug models had to work without electricity to mic ("plug-in power" = consumer version of phantom).

OldSchoolMAC

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2005
I just bought a use MacBook Pro 2017 and my headphones have little to no audio in when they work on a MacBook 2016 and a MacBook Pro 2020. Other headphones work, though have had issues when being plugged in after the ones that don’t work. Any thoughts on why this specific set , betron, doesn’t work on only this computer?

Pipes_OH

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2020
I have a MacBook Pro 2017, 13"...and I just got a brand new JBL Quantum 200 headphones...this device is recognized in my samsung s10+, my iPod, my ps4 but when it comes to my laptop, the microphone is not detected but I have sound on them!...I've tried a lot but still haven't found any solution... :-(

alexklaus80

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2020
I have MBP (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015 with only one audio jack), and splitter should work fine. It should recognize it as soon as the splitter is in, even without mic connected to the splitter. Splitter alone would let it recognize. So I doubt impedance has to do with anything. Splitter (or iRig that I have) will be recognized even before I plug any mic (or guitar) into it.

Well it was so until last week for me.. I had an OS update lately but I think this is about hardware problem, likely on splitter. Now mac only recognize audio output, but not input, however; I have iRig to connect my electric bass guitar to my mac, and it will let my mac recognize both input/output. My mic is this one (with 1kΩ±20% and is active mic in case you wonder the spec; it used to work either mic powered on or off: did it break the splitter?!?!).

BTW, the splitter I was using is this one with some complaints from customer with one star saying "some says it works for iPhone 6 but didn't work for me". So I suppose my splitter is built poorly. Many seems to claim either "all not working" or "mic not working", but never "only mic working". Why is that? Anyone good at audio/electronics?

Until I get sound answer, it seems to me like the solution is to get nicely reliable TRRS splitter cable (or usb audio thingy).

edit: english and some more details

Last edited:

Kontikonsumi

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2020
Hello, what is interesting:

Macbook Pro 2015 15" (OSX Mojave 10.14.6): Plugging in and Out Rodemic Smartlav Lavelier = no recignition as External Mic (Apple Earbuds work fine). What was intersting was that smetimes my Mic has been detected as External Mic, but I couldnt reproduce it for 95%of plugging it in and out.

However

Macbook Pro 2015 13" (OSX Catalina 10.15.7): Plugging in and Out Rodemic Smarlav Lavelier a few times = Recognition as External Mic (apple Earbuds work also fine here). So do you guys think it has been fixed in Catlina?

Can anybody confirm this and say which Exact Model they are using and which Software Version? There must be something into it...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.