Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jacquesrk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2010
I am dealing with an old iPad (iPad 3rd generation aka the New iPad; part number PC707LL/A; 30-pin connector iOS 9.3.5) that some kids (in a school situation) are using to record videos. We would like to improve the audio quality (this doesn't need to be a professional quality recording.) i.e. We want to film (using the iPad internal camera) and record the sound at the same time.
[automerge]1571844565[/automerge]
I wanted to add: What inexpensive microphone could I get to work with that iPad? Ideally it would also work with a modern iPad using Lightning connector / the latest iOS, so that the microphone can see further use besides this one-time project.

A search showed me this: "NADY MCM-85 Mini Plug-in High Performance Condenser Microphone" ( https://www.nady.com/products/microphones-studio-wired/vocalinstrument-condenser-microphones/mcm-85/ ) which plugs into an audio 3.5mm jack, but I'm not sure it would work. I tried another inexpensive karaoke microphone that one of the parents loaned me, but when I tried recording film with the karaoke microphone plugged into the 3.5mm jack, I got no sound at all. The karaoke microphone could be broken I suppose.

Mobile923

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
Check out an older product: Blue Mikey Digital

It comes in both 30-pin and Lightning flavors, also features a built in 3.5mm stereo input, and Mini USB input for charging while in use. Very nifty product. You’ll have some luck on eBay. if all you can find is the 30-pin one, the official 30-pin to Lightning adapter from Apple will work just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.