Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogueblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
Hi

Hope someone can help.
I have an iPad Pro 2017 11”, plus and adapter with UHD 4K HDMI output capability. ( see screenshot)
I recently bought a FHD 1080 DELL monitor and expected at least the screen to be filled top and bottom with no spaces, obviously sides would have spaces due to aspect ratio.
But for some reason the iPad mirrored image is smaller than expect with spaces ALL round! (See screenshot).
Im sure the iPad Pro 2017 can output 1080 if not a lot more through a 4K adapter, and should be at least be able to fill the FHD screen top and bottom, shouldn’t it? Or am I doing something wrong or is there something I’m getting wrong from the output info?

TIA
Rob

Attachments

• 99A26626-DA06-447A-BCB9-D8FDD93E8FBF.jpeg
    99A26626-DA06-447A-BCB9-D8FDD93E8FBF.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 2,048
  • 9BC3CCB0-F754-406F-AEEA-ED98A20A0AB0.jpeg
    9BC3CCB0-F754-406F-AEEA-ED98A20A0AB0.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 785

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
Hi

Hope someone can help.
I have an iPad Pro 2017 11”, plus and adapter with UHD 4K HDMI output capability. ( see screenshot)
I recently bought a FHD 1080 DELL monitor and expected at least the screen to be filled top and bottom with no spaces, obviously sides would have spaces due to aspect ratio.
But for some reason the iPad mirrored image is smaller than expect with spaces ALL round! (See screenshot).
Im sure the iPad Pro 2017 can output 1080 if not a lot more through a 4K adapter, and should be at least be able to fill the FHD screen top and bottom, shouldn’t it? Or am I doing something wrong or is there something I’m getting wrong from the output info?

TIA
Rob
Test the iPad Pro with another monitor.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Could be the iPad is presenting itself at a 1194 x 834 pixel resolution with that adapter.

Rogueblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
Could be the iPad is presenting itself at a 1194 x 834 pixel resolution with that adapter.

I was thinking something similar might be happening, but any idea why it would be using a resolution like that if the adapter to up to 4K compatible?

tomangelo8

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2020
Cebu City, Central Visayas
It mirrors the ipad aspect ratio. Unforunately there’s no way to fill the screen natively. This is not supported by iPad OS, but on some apps it takes full advantage of it’s screen (e.g. Netflix). It’s capable to drive the whole resolution of the monitor, but Apple just don’t allow us to do that.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It mirrors the ipad aspect ratio. Unforunately there’s no way to fill the screen natively. This is not supported by iPad OS, but on some apps it takes full advantage of it’s screen (e.g. Netflix). It’s capable to drive the whole resolution of the monitor, but Apple just don’t allow us to do that.

But it should fit top & bottom - the OP's issue is that it isn't, black bars are displayed.

Reactions: Rogueblue

Rogueblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
Yes as I mentioned in my original post, I’m aware of the aspect ratio, so expect the sides to be cut off ... but it does not explain the open,space on top and below, it should have filled more the screen.
[automerge]1595091606[/automerge]
But it should fit top & bottom - the OP's issue is that it isn't, black bars are displayed.

Yes, I actually test it today on another FHD 1080 pc monitor, from Dell and another brand, and again the same thingoccured.
BUT then I tried it on a much larger (in physical size) FHD 1080 tv monito, and their it filled the screen perfectly (only with the expected sides with empty space) ... was filled top and bottom ... Very confusing.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yes as I mentioned in my original post, I’m aware of the aspect ratio, so expect the sides to be cut off ... but it does not explain the open,space on top and below, it should have filled more the screen.

If your monitor does not have any screen fit settings, you may be stuck. I've run into this when connecting to some TV's with my iPads and laptop; the TV's had framing adjustments such that the displayed image would fill the screen top & bottom for 4:3 or the sides for 16:9.

Rogueblue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 14, 2020
If your monitor does not have any screen fit settings, you may be stuck. I've run into this when connecting to some TV's with my iPads and laptop; the TV's had framing adjustments such that the displayed image would fill the screen top & bottom for 4:3 or the sides for 16:9.

I fear you may be right ... will still try find solution but ...

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
OK, I was able to replicate this with an LG 4K monitor. Connecting it via a USB-C to HDMI cable, there are black bars at the top & bottom and no monitor setting would change that. Connecting via a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, the bars at the top and bottom went away, the mirrored image filling the entire vertical display.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
OK, I was able to replicate this with an LG 4K monitor. Connecting it via a USB-C to HDMI cable, there are black bars at the top & bottom and no monitor setting would change that. Connecting via a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, the bars at the top and bottom went away, the mirrored image filling the entire vertical display.

Follow-on tests with same LG 4K monitor: tried HDMI-HDMI cable with Apple USB-C HDMI adapter and bars again showed top and bottom. Tried with Apple Lightning HDMI adapter and 10.5 Pro - same thing, bars top & bottom. Tried same HDMI-HDMI cable with Apple USB-C HDMI adapter connected to Samsung 4K TV - no bars on top and bottom.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden
Yup. Some people swear that it has to do with the adapter itself, others with the type of connection. For me I know that connecting via HDMI with Apple’s own USB-C HDMI multiadapter, if I connect to a “TV” then I get full vertical height. If I connect to a “monitor” I don’t get full height. Anecdotal, but that has been my personal experience. I would love to know what is actually going on here. External screen supporting apps fill the entire screen in both cases for me always.

Reactions: sparksd

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yup. Some people swear that it has to do with the adapter itself, others with the type of connection. For me I know that connecting via HDMI with Apple’s own USB-C HDMI multiadapter, if I connect to a “TV” then I get full vertical height. If I connect to a “monitor” I don’t get full height. Anecdotal, but that has been my personal experience. I would love to know what is actually going on here. External screen supporting apps fill the entire screen in both cases for me always.

Yeah, that's what I see with HDMI and external screen supporting apps fill the entire screen. DisplayPort fills the screen top & bottom.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA

Regarding the adapter - I also tried with a USB-C hub & HDMI cable and had black bars top & bottom. It's definitely in the HDMI connectivity (I also tried different HDMI cables to eliminate them as an issue).

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Happened to me too, the first time I hooked up my IPP 11” to my ancient LCD monitor with VGA port via a type C hub (yes they still make hub with VGA port haha).

At first the mirrored screen is being shown about only 80% from it supposed to be expected. The upper and bottom parts leave blank areas. And the screen is not centered, but pushed to the far left side of the monitor. And also the aspect ration is funked-up. Images looks too thin and tall.
This didn’t happen on my LED TV with HDMI connection via the same hub.

So I forget about it for a while and play with ShiftScreen app for a while, manage to get the full screen web view instantly on the LCD monitor. Then, when I closed the app and got back to the mirroring mode, the screen on the monitor showing what it supposed to. Perfectly centered and fully filling the upper and bottom areas.

Eventually I fixed the aspect ratio issue by messing around with the monitor’s menu, even tho there’s still around 5% distortion. I can live with that.

Last edited:

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Connecting via a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, the bars at the top and bottom went away, the mirrored image filling the entire vertical display.

Sooner or Later I am going to be in this situation. I thought to connect an iPad to an external Monitor all you need is USB-C to HDMI Cable now what is this USB-C to Display Port Cable ? (is it not HDMI) Then what is it ? Can you post a picture of it ?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Have the same issue as well. Funny that I get the full vertical screen when I use airplay mirroring but not when using an adaptor...

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Have the same issue as well. Funny that I get the full vertical screen when I use airplay mirroring but not when using an adaptor...

Airplay is a ground breaking technology. The best option for people wanting to use an external display on an iPad Pro is hands down using Apple TV for mirroring and Airplay. No Hassles at all ! Life Made Easy !! That is Apple for you at its best !!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Sooner or Later I am going to be in this situation. I thought to connect an iPad to an external Monitor all you need is USB-C to HDMI Cable now what is this USB-C to Display Port Cable ? (is it not HDMI) Then what is it ? Can you post a picture of it ?

Picture here -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CL31FR6

Differences between HDMI & DisplayPort -

https://www.barco.com/en/news/2018-11-20-what-is-the-difference-between-displayport-and-hdmi

My LG 4K monitor has two HDMI 2.0 ports and one DisplayPort.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
Last edited:

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Oh Ok ! So not all Monitors would have DisplayPort ? Is it ? And if a Monitor has Only HDMI and not DisplayPort there is gonna be Black Bars even on the top and bottom along side on the sides right ?

Not all monitors have a DisplayPort input. I can't speak to the universality of top & bottom black bars with HDMI, only to my particular monitor. With my 12.9 Pro, 10.5 Pro, and XS Max phone I tried the following connections and none of them eliminated the top & bottom black bars:

USB-C to HDMI cable
Apple USB-C to HDMI adapter with HDMI cable
USB-C hub with HDMI cable
Apple Lightning HDMI adapter with HDMI cable

The USB-C to DisplayPort cable connection was the only one that eliminated the bars. I tried different HDMI cables to eliminate the cable as the issue. No settings changes on the monitor made a difference. There is no setting on the iPad/iPhone side to change.

Reactions: jazz1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.