Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TszChun.Anson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
My M1 MBA is directly connected to DELL U2720Q with a single USB-C cable. HDR is turned on in both MacOS and the monitor (as DisplayHDR). Confirmed P3 colours and HDR videos can be displayed and played correctly under this set of settings.

However, very often the external monitor is unable to maintain HDR on and ability to show P3 colours (1) after waking up from slept MacOS, and (2) with the MacBook lid closed.

I noticed and verified this issue by noticing that the colour becomes much more saturated, while the P3 colours are no longer visible. It seems to me the colour profile has switched itself and no longer HDR.

Just wondering if anyone is facing the same issue.

Reactions: TrancyGoose

TrancyGoose

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2021
Have the exact same thing.
Connected to a BenQ screen via USB C, lid open, HDR on. Once lid closes, HDR gets disabled. It can be reenabled manually from Display settings.
Once lid reopens, it has to be re-enabled again as it turns off.
Feel like, we need to report it to Apple or smth, unless anyone knows what is done wrong here?

verdi1987

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
My M1 MBA is directly connected to DELL U2720Q with a single USB-C cable. HDR is turned on in both MacOS and the monitor (as DisplayHDR). Confirmed P3 colours and HDR videos can be displayed and played correctly under this set of settings.

However, very often the external monitor is unable to maintain HDR on and ability to show P3 colours (1) after waking up from slept MacOS, and (2) with the MacBook lid closed.

I noticed and verified this issue by noticing that the colour becomes much more saturated, while the P3 colours are no longer visible. It seems to me the colour profile has switched itself and no longer HDR.

Just wondering if anyone is facing the same issue.
Have you resolved this issue? I have the same display connected to my 2018 MBP. Often (but not always) when I wake from sleep, it's reverted back to non-HDR. The display setting still shows HDR enabled, but the display itself has disabled HDR. I can get it back if I toggle HDR off and back on, but that's a pain to do every time. Running macOS 12.1.

Reactions: TrancyGoose

MacDaddyPanda

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2018
Murica
This happens still? WTF? It's doing it on my Mac Mini M2 with my 4k TV as my only monitor. Wake from sleep and the HDR is disabled. I have to manually reenable it every time. Is there really no resolution for this?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
There are a few remedies for this, e.g. you can use/compile Sleepwatcher to automatically execute ToggleHDR to make sure that HDR is active on wake. For additional monitor control Lunar is highly recommended.
Or you create a shortcut (e.g. Lunar provides an action for this; ToggleHDR is available as such) which you execute if required. Some people prefer GUI scripting using Applescript (which I personally find a little bit tedious to keep up to date between macOS version, YMMV).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.