Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
I am thinking about buying an external LCD monitor for my 2005 PowerBook. Being a Mac newbie, I have a couple questions:

[1] Is there anything I should consider when picking a monitor?

[2] Will the PowerBook operate when closed? (I'm not interested in using both the external and notebook displays simultaneously; I have an external keyboard and mouse...).

I was previously used to using a docking station for my Windows notebook...

Thanks.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
[1] Pick something that will be reasonably priced, but bright and big enough for you. It doesn't sound like you're looking for something to do color critical work, but if you are that will impact the price.

[2] Yes.

hodgjy

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Although the Powerbook will operate with the lid closed, it's not something that I recommend doing all day long. Notebook computers are designed to dissipate heat through the top with the lid open. At the very least, put your Powerbook on some sort of cooling stand to get air underneath it to dissipate heat if you work with it with the lid closed.

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
How do you get a powerbook to do this, i tried it with mine and it went to sleep. I have a usb m$ mouse and apple bluetooth mouse connected to my powerbook, aswell as an Elonex v799 17" crt and when i close the lid it just goes to sleep.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
millar876 said:
How do you get a powerbook to do this, i tried it with mine and it went to sleep. I have a usb m$ mouse and apple bluetooth mouse connected to my powerbook, aswell as an Elonex v799 17" crt and when i close the lid it just goes to sleep.
I always hook up the monitor, then the keyboard, when it's asleep. The PowerBook will wake up when you plug in the USB for the KB and Mouse, and you'll be all set.

You can also start up from many external monitors after the PB goes to sleep, or startup the PB from shut down and close the lid right away.

As for extra heat buildup - I run like this all the time and don't have heat issues (I've got a Ti 1GHz).

millar876

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2004
Kilmarnock, Scotland UK
THANKS.
Worked like a charm. im trying to get a hold of a better monitor and then ill re arramge my setup on my desk. When o do stuf in Garageband, imovie or idvd, i'll probably open it up just for fear of melting somthing due to the high proc &ram usage.

Ye... thanks again ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.