Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
So I was trying out the External OWC 4M2 NVME Enclosure - it is thunderbolt 3 so of course can work with Mac Pro if you need more drives than it can fit inside, or if you need to move it around - like to another system, i.e Mac Studio.

One big advantage of the Mac Pro is having nearly silent internal possibilities for PCIe storage - and one of the drawbacks of this enclosure is a fairly annoying loud fan, has a high pitched noise.

Of course, NVME drives need to be cooled somehow - so you need either to replace the fan with a better one, or mcguyver some type of solution.

I much prefer NVME drives to SSD or other drives, because they're much faster, often much more silent, and prices have decreased dramatically recently - you can get a 2TB Samsung Pro for $120! It used to be nearly $300 last year, that's really crazy.

I decided the most elegant solution was to add heatsinks and thermal pads to each NVME in the enclosure - that's what is normally done on PC motherboards and similar, and should help. Plus, it's 0 noise.

It's good enough for what it is, but a few drawbacks compared to internal solutions for Mac Pro:

1. It's external, so obviously takes up an extra TB port, power cable, and desk space, albeit it's small in size

2. I think has a 2TB drive capacity only, so no 4TB NVME - unless some work, not sure on this one 100%

3. Each lane is limited to 700mb/s, so 2800mb/s raid 0 for 4 fast NVME is the top speed with TB3, compared to double that with an internal Mac Pro PCIe NVME card, and even more if it's the newer PCIe Gen 4 Mac Pro 2023.

For now, it's a decent solution with decent speeds - I transfer a lot of large video files, and work from the drive often, which sometimes can saturate regular SSD raid 0 speeds of 1500mb/s or under, so having nearly 2800mb/s is much better - and it keeps that speed with 4x Samsung Evo NVME drives even in a very large transfer. (Some cheaper NVME have a speed drop off in large transfers after their cache fills up, that's why I like the Evo, or the Pro versions are even better for sustained transfers)

Attachments

• IMG_7390.jpg
    IMG_7390.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 309
Reactions: jimthing

DrEGPU

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2020
I get why this might be necessary for the Mac Studio, but it’s completely unnecessary for the Mac Pro. A sonnet or highpoint card (basically any card with a plx chip on it) can accommodate 4x NVME’s for much more performance at a lower cost.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
So I was trying out the External OWC 4M2 NVME Enclosure - it is thunderbolt 3 so of course can work with Mac Pro if you need more drives than it can fit inside, or if you need to move it around - like to another system, i.e Mac Studio.

One big advantage of the Mac Pro is having nearly silent internal possibilities for PCIe storage - and one of the drawbacks of this enclosure is a fairly annoying loud fan, has a high pitched noise.

Of course, NVME drives need to be cooled somehow - so you need either to replace the fan with a better one, or mcguyver some type of solution.

I much prefer NVME drives to SSD or other drives, because they're much faster, often much more silent, and prices have decreased dramatically recently - you can get a 2TB Samsung Pro for $120! It used to be nearly $300 last year, that's really crazy.

I decided the most elegant solution was to add heatsinks and thermal pads to each NVME in the enclosure - that's what is normally done on PC motherboards and similar, and should help. Plus, it's 0 noise.

It's good enough for what it is, but a few drawbacks compared to internal solutions for Mac Pro:

1. It's external, so obviously takes up an extra TB port, power cable, and desk space, albeit it's small in size

2. I think has a 2TB drive capacity only, so no 4TB NVME - unless some work, not sure on this one 100%

3. Each lane is limited to 700mb/s, so 2800mb/s raid 0 for 4 fast NVME is the top speed with TB3, compared to double that with an internal Mac Pro PCIe NVME card, and even more if it's the newer PCIe Gen 4 Mac Pro 2023.

For now, it's a decent solution with decent speeds - I transfer a lot of large video files, and work from the drive often, which sometimes can saturate regular SSD raid 0 speeds of 1500mb/s or under, so having nearly 2800mb/s is much better - and it keeps that speed with 4x Samsung Evo NVME drives even in a very large transfer. (Some cheaper NVME have a speed drop off in large transfers after their cache fills up, that's why I like the Evo, or the Pro versions are even better for sustained transfers)
I'm considering buying this case for my new mac studio, coming from a mac pro with a sonnet 4x4 raid card inside and I need a new home for my m.2 ssds. I'm reading everywhere about the obnoxiously noisy fan- did your solution work well? Do you think it's safe to just put heatsinks on the ssds, turn off the fan and call it a day? What heatsinks did you use?

filmboy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
I have a whisper quiet Mac Studio (first gen), however the fan on my OWC 4M2 is ridiculously loud. OWC tech support claims they recently switched to a lower rpm fan and are looking into selling me one. In the meantime, I also considered simply disconnecting the fan but my SSD strips get hot, so there's no use in not taking advantage of what this enclosure was designed to do. I found some mods on You Tube but they're too complex. Noctua is known for their quiet fans however I cannot find one of their models that is slender enough to fit the 4M2. Lots of Noctua fans on Amazon but not quite slender enough. I'm going to call some retail outlets that sell them for advice. In the meantime, I hope OWC comes through for me but per what I've read online, the 4M2 could also use some O-rings to dampen the vibration. Such a shame as I otherewise really like pairing the 4M2 with my Mac Studio.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I have a whisper quiet Mac Studio (first gen), however the fan on my OWC 4M2 is ridiculously loud. OWC tech support claims they recently switched to a lower rpm fan and are looking into selling me one. In the meantime, I also considered simply disconnecting the fan but my SSD strips get hot, so there's no use in not taking advantage of what this enclosure was designed to do. I found some mods on You Tube but they're too complex. Noctua is known for their quiet fans however I cannot find one of their models that is slender enough to fit the 4M2. Lots of Noctua fans on Amazon but not quite slender enough. I'm going to call some retail outlets that sell them for advice. In the meantime, I hope OWC comes through for me but per what I've read online, the 4M2 could also use some O-rings to dampen the vibration. Such a shame as I otherewise really like pairing the 4M2 with my Mac Studio.
Please report back if the new fan from OWC is actually quiet!! Because otherwise this is a great device I think.

The videos and comments about the loud fans made me give that thing a hard pass and I went with the owc mercury pro u2 dual instead. It’s super quiet and works great but is more expensive considering you need to buy two u2 shuttles.

filmboy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
Yes, I was looking at the mercury pro u2 dual as well and apart from the expense, I simply don't need that much speed. My two Sabrent 4TB Rocket 4 PLUS NVME PCIe 4.0 M.2 2280 strips are plenty fast. Too that this Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX Premium Quiet Fan is just a wee bit too thick to fit into the 4M2 enclosure! Fingers crossed that OWC will send me a new, lower rpm fan soon.

filmboy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
UPDATE: OWC sent me a replacement 1500rpm fan to replace the 2000rpm fan that came with the 4M2 unit I purchased just over a year ago. It is much quieter, no longer sounds like like a small air conditioner. The unit now emits a soft buzz, still louder than my whisper quiet first gen Mac Studio, but tolerable. Upon changing the new fan out for the old one, there were oddly only two screws holding the fan in place, even though the fan had four holes! I called OWC tech support, they looked up the specs and confirmed that the unit only comes with two screws. And though they conceded that this was not optimal for subduing vibration, they would not send me two additional screws. Upon further inspection, I noticed that each of the screws did not sink down into their holes to meet a submerged support ledge. So I went to a hardware store and purchased four 'M3 x 12, .50 pitch' screws, along with four #61, "O" Rings, size; 9/32" O.D x 5/32" I.D. I was able to sink this screw/O-ring combination into each for the four holes to help mitigate the fan's vibration. Surprisingly, there was no discernible difference. But again, the 1500rpm fan was night and day from the former one. Lastly, OWC's charge for the new fan was $22.51, UPS shipping included.

Last edited:

jiminycricket

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
Just spoke with OWC about ordering the same part. They apparently don't have it marked as a standard process, so to save people the trouble, here's what you need to do if you want to get one.

Call OWC @ 1-800-275-4576. You'll need to order the following SKU: OWCTB3EX4M2FAN2. It can't (currently) be ordered on their website, and they can't do orders over online chat, so calling them directly is the only way to order the part.

Thank you to @filmboy! His info above was really helpful (and his immediate response to a request for more info was extremely helpful during a chat with OWC customer service).

filmboy

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2013
Just spoke with OWC about ordering the same part. They apparently don't have it marked as a standard process, so to save people the trouble, here's what you need to do if you want to get one.

Call OWC @ 1-800-275-4576. You'll need to order the following SKU: OWCTB3EX4M2FAN2. It can't (currently) be ordered on their website, and they can't do orders over online chat, so calling them directly is the only way to order the part.

Thank you to @filmboy! His info above was really helpful (and his immediate response to a request for more info was extremely helpful during a chat with OWC customer service).
I'm so glad you were able to order a new fan! Surprisingly, my screw/O-ring upgrade didn't make a discernible difference. However, I strongly encouraged OWC to have 4 (rather than 2) screws holding the fan in place in their next iteration of the 4M2 including O-rings and if possible, a fan that is truly whisper quiet. The current fan, while only 1500rpm, is still louder than my first gen Mac Studio! Which is ridiculous consider how modest the 4M2 is in size, compared to the Mac Studio.

jiminycricket

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2016
I'm so glad you were able to order a new fan! Surprisingly, my screw/O-ring upgrade didn't make a discernible difference. However, I strongly encouraged OWC to have 4 (rather than 2) screws holding the fan in place in their next iteration of the 4M2 including O-rings and if possible, a fan that is truly whisper quiet. The current fan, while only 1500rpm, is still louder than my first gen Mac Studio! Which is ridiculous consider how modest the 4M2 is in size, compared to the Mac Studio.
I suspect part of the problem is the size of the enclosure. If it were bigger they could use a larger, slower fan and still move the same amount of air to cool it down the same amount. Of course they could also make it a little fatter so it has room for decent heat sinks and the fan at the same time, then use an even slower fan, but that would be a bigger change.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.