Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caecusum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
As a new PowerBook owner I'm interested in buying an external mouse for the times when I'm not taking advantage of my newfound portability.

I don't know much about mice but have heard that BT wireless mice tend to have a bit of delay between rapid movements. Now I wouldn't classify myself as a "gamer" but I do ocasionally play and old game or two (Diablo 2 comes to mind) and would probably be annoyed by this delay.

What's the story with RF mice like the raved-about Logitech MX1000? Do I need to plug a receiver into a USB socket? Is this clunky when used with a PowerBook? Does this have the same delay problem that BT mice have?

Wired mice. As a last resort does anyone have recommendations for a great, precise, quick, multi-button wired mouse?

Thanks in advance.

Waiea

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2005
Yoy may be surprised ...

When I got my new Pbook, I immediately bought a small wired mouse. I don't have it with me now, and I don't remember the brand - it was one of the better known brands. It's small, has a cord that retracts into a small reel set in the cord and is very convenient. I think it cost about $30.
BUT, I found I never use it! With the 'two finger scroll' on the trackpad, navigating screens and web pages is very convenient. I'm travelling right now and didn't even bring the mouse.
You may want to do without for a few weeks to see if you REALLY want a mouse. You just may save yourself a few bucks.

- Kui

wdschrank

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
I'll second that. The scrolling trackpad is HUGE. Makes it so easy to surf the web. You may still have issues when dragging things around. But at least it's an improvement. Sorry, don't know much about BT or wired mice. Don't use them.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
i use my BT mouse everyday with my powerbook. the RF mice will need to take up a USB slot and have a piece sticking out of your PB, so that makes no sense in my opinion. BT is much more convenient, and there is no really noticeable lag unless you are playing today's best games, i have had no problems with my BT mouse when playing Diablo or Quake III.

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
The scrolling trackpad is nice, but if your Powerbook doubles as your desktop, as mine does, it's nice to have a setup with an external mouse, keyboard, and monitor at home. I use the Macally BT mini, which is a normal sized BT mouse, and it works great; no noticeable lag. The only complaint I have about BT peripheals in general is that you have to wait for them to connect after coming out of sleep, which can ocassionally take 20 or 30 seconds.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
mad jew said:
I'll third that. I barely use my shiny white mouse anymore. :D

I can fourth that to some degree. I have found that while traveling or in class, weekend home to parents, etc, I never use any external mouse. The trackpad is quite amazing with the new features, save for side-scrolling screws me up on occasion with my lazy second finger :p

When I use the PB at work I prefer to use a wired mouse solely for having the shape and comfort. Since it isn't game-intensive and cool points don't matter to me at all, I just took a classic 3-button logitech desktop mouse and plugged it in. I leave it at my desk at work and use it only while at work. Thats it.

Oh, depending on the apps you use, some drafting/drawing apps (VectorWorks and SketchUp come to mind) benefit from the middle-click/rotate functions a multibutton mouse provides, but otherwise the trackpad is where it's at.

caecusum

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2005
Oh, don't get me wrong guys. The trackpad on the new model PowerBooks is a dream come true. I don't think I could ever readjust to not having the two finger scroll ability. I use it without complaint when I'm simply browsing the web or checking my email.

On the other hand I do occasionally use some graphics editings software (where a lot of clicking and dragging is necessary) and do play a game or two from time to time and for these situations it is nice to have an external mouse.

I'm a bit confused by the mixed responses regarding bluetooth mice. Some people love them, others find them unbearably slow to respond. Odd.

Any more thoughts are greatly appreciated.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
I use a bluetooth mouse with my powerbook (and with my iMac). For my powerbook I use the radtech small mouse (forget the number), which I like because it's small and portable (although the size takes a bit to get used to). I find it to be very responsive, and since I'm a mac to windows back to mac convert it's nice to have the two buttons and scroll wheel.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
caecusum said:
Oh, don't get me wrong guys. The trackpad on the new model PowerBooks is a dream come true. I don't think I could ever readjust to not having the two finger scroll ability. I use it without complaint when I'm simply browsing the web or checking my email.

On the other hand I do occasionally use some graphics editings software (where a lot of clicking and dragging is necessary) and do play a game or two from time to time and for these situations it is nice to have an external mouse.

I'm a bit confused by the mixed responses regarding bluetooth mice. Some people love them, others find them unbearably slow to respond. Odd.

Any more thoughts are greatly appreciated.

There will always be differences in opinion based on what people are used to and what they expect given the price they have paid and their history with electronics. If you have been using the MX1000 mouse with awesome accuracy and response and a ton of buttons, you might hate a BT 3-button mouse. On the contrary, if all you ever use is the trackpad, then that same 3-button BT mouse might be your salvation.

I have not used any of the BT mouse offerings currently available. I almost purchased one but based on the cost and my theoretical usage I decided to just use a corded mouse for the few times I want those extra buttons. A co-worker has the RadTech mouse (not sure which one, small and white if that helps :p) and he hates it, destroys batteries in a matter of days he says. I have also heard similar warnings from many other people about battery consumption for BT mice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.