Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
make sure its a corsair one as some have different pin outs at PSU so check the corsair chart to what cable suits your PSU part number.

Looked like the cable you mentioned was included in the Corsair PSU package as per the attached photos. So I tried out hooking the cables up as per the attached, but when I turned on the red on/off switch, I heard one click noise, the fans turned on, then the fan stopped. I took the RTX4090 out of Mac Pro’s PCIE connection and tried turning on the red on/off switch again, but no luck.

Based on the link you provided for the compatibility it looked like I needed a 12 pin -> 2x8 pin Type 5 cable, and it looks like the attached photo is what I have. But no luck. Would you be able to show me some photos of how you connected those cables to your Corsair PSU and to your RTX4090???

Otherwise wondering if I need to buy this one which seems to be different in the 2x8pin holes. Mine only has 1 empty hole whereas below link has 2 empty holes.

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpeg
    IMG_0991.jpeg
    531.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0990.jpeg
    IMG_0990.jpeg
    333.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0993.jpeg
    IMG_0993.jpeg
    602.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0996.jpeg
    IMG_0996.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_0995.jpeg
    IMG_0995.jpeg
    263.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
hi, No pictures are needed, the 12 pin 4090 power lead can only connect one way to 4090, from the other end 2 X 8 pin power connectors to PSU. the psu cable which would go to the on off red switch connection and turn on. are you trying this with the 4090 installed in the 7.1 ? or card out of the mac?

use PCie lane slot 4 for the 4090, when the 4090 is installed it will call for power upon boot, and your card will work but only in windows.

if your PSU fails to turn on check continuity between switch and plug to PSU M/B connection.

I cant take pic's as my sf-750 psu is under bottom of desk fixed in position with switch. and the cable to 4090 goes up over edge of desk straight into and through pci slot and 4090 can only connect to that cable.

Reactions: LEOMODE

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
hi, No pictures are needed, the 12 pin 4090 power lead can only connect one way to 4090, from the other end 2 X 8 pin power connectors to PSU. the psu cable which would go to the on off red switch connection and turn on. are you trying this with the 4090 installed in the 7.1 ? or card out of the mac?

use PCie lane slot 4 for the 4090, when the 4090 is installed it will call for power upon boot, and your card will work but only in windows.

if your PSU fails to turn on check continuity between switch and plug to PSU M/B connection.

I cant take pic's as my sf-750 psu is under bottom of desk fixed in position with switch. and the cable to 4090 goes up over edge of desk straight into and through pci slot and 4090 can only connect to that cable.

I tried both taking the 4090 out of mac pro, connect 12pin to 4090 and 2x8pin to corsair psu, and tried turning it on using the on/off switch. 4090 fan didn't get turned on at all. I also did this by inserting 4090 into the mac pro pcie slot and did the same thing but i cannot verify as the mac pro case enclosure blocks it from being visible, but on windows 11 device manager 4090 wasn't detected. Only 6900xt.

For your comment about psu failing to turn on, yeah not sure but i dont know what you mean by check continuity… as per above photo i attached, i did connect that to motherboard slot in the corsair psu. and i don’t think i need to buy another switch to check it out as they all looked the same. So i dont know why corsair psu fan stops after a few seconds of being turned on…

Thanks for your reply and understand your situation. Let me try to do it again (i’ve purchased the new corsair cable from amazon) and reply here again. I did put it to slot 1 for rtx4090. But i think i’m having an issue just trying to power the fan on, as the fan stops after a few seconds of turning it on with an on/off switch for some reason anyway.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California

Really strange, I bought the exact same PSU now which has type 4 cables instead of type 5. I also bought Corsair's type 4 cable and connected to RTX4090. I noticed that when I turn on the power of the psu, the fan runs for a second just like Corsair 850 PSU, then stops. I ordered another on/off switch in Amazon, but they all seem to be the same. So frustrated that I cannot get the fans to run until I turn it off.

Currently this one is not working

I ordered more below and will report.

LEOMODE

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 14, 2009
Southern California
the fans only spin briefly on start up, they will not spin up until needed for cooling, it has to be under load.

I can confirm that I could load my RTX4090 up and running with the external PSU! So there was a lot of clarification needed from you and now I am able to run it fine. So I think I'll create a separate DIY step-by-step instruction so people like us can benefit from this.

Thanks again for your information and I hope my DIY instructions can benefit more people.

Stay tuned!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.