Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i've been asking about RAID 5 around here, but seems my thread hasn't got many answers, so i'll try here in the hopes that someone can help me.

I also am going to setup RAID 5 in my PM G5 DP 2GHz. I've got a G5 Drive Bracket, and i'm going to put an extra 3x300GB drives in there. but i have 2x200GB drives already installed. i want to keep one 200GB drive for my system, it will not be included in the RAID. but as far as i know, i'll have to replace the remaining 200GB drive with a drive the same size as is used in the rest of the RAID if i want to use it in a RAID setup, is this correct?

next question - what's the difference between all these different RAID controllers? obviously you've got SATA & SATA-II, but i won't have SATA-II drives, but it may be worth getting something like the RocketRaid 2220 to 'futureproof' things (as opposed to a 18xx model, that i assume would be cheaper)? opinions?

now as far as setting it up, i will have to run the internal HD from the PM through the RAID controller, not the built-in cables, correct?

also, any card in particular you'd recommend for a PM G5? it's not PCI-X, only PCI 33MHz.

wow... i think that's all the questions for now. big thanks for any help! :)

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
maxtor's are great

macunkie said:
Thanks Danksi! I think I'll stick with Maxtor. This is what I'm using with my current master IDE drive. I think the original 60gig that came with my 533 G4 has just got too many "read/write miles" on it. It's over 5 years old now.

Thanks again for your input!
hey there,

aside from g-drive, which has a hitachi, all my HDs are maxtors' (ok.. i lie...i forgot what my 2 lacies are).

Danski is right about esata...think of it this way....it's like having the internal HD setup from your mac...outside. I just ordered a Fusion 400 from Sonnet (http://www.sonnettech.com) with a 4 port esata card. i'll add a 500 GB Maxtor HD to start with. tons of room! :)

i'll never buy another FW drive. only going esata from now on. the speeds are just ridiculous and the ability to swap new HDs in and out with ease is awesome.

good luck,
Keebler

macunkie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 12, 2004
Northern Nevada
Keebler said:
hey there,

aside from g-drive, which has a hitachi, all my HDs are maxtors' (ok.. i lie...i forgot what my 2 lacies are).

Danski is right about esata...think of it this way....it's like having the internal HD setup from your mac...outside. I just ordered a Fusion 400 from Sonnet (http://www.sonnettech.com) with a 4 port esata card. i'll add a 500 GB Maxtor HD to start with. tons of room! :)

i'll never buy another FW drive. only going esata from now on. the speeds are just ridiculous and the ability to swap new HDs in and out with ease is awesome.

good luck,
Keebler

Good Stuff!
Thank you Keebler!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I have a RocketRaid 2220 which I brought on eBay for £150. SATA II futureproofing, RAID 5 and 8 ports was too good to pass up.

I've put it in a G3 B+W Powermac with 1GB RAM which I brought recently for £50.

The G3 Powermac will act as external RAID + storage, printer server, and email relay for my main machine, a PB 1.5 GHZ 15''.

I'm still waiting for delivery of 2x300GB SATA Maxtors from Amazon.co.uk, which have today just had their second 2 week postponement GRRR!!!

The maxtors will go into RAID 5 with my current external drive, a Maxtor PATA 300GB. Currently it lives in a small firewire enclosure, but I'll take it out, slap a PATA/SATA convertor on and put it in the G3 B+W

I figure with some creativity, I can put 6 or so drives in the G3 B+W.

The G3 is on the 100mbps home network - I may buy a gigabit network card for it if I can find it cheap, but for now, I will put it in firewire Target mode whenever I need to do film editing work with the RAID array - hope it will works with the RocketRaid 2220!

..RedTomato..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.