Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
I'm looking for a external trackpad. USB woould be great as this would be connected to my PM. I like the trackpad for some applications, and have always wanted to use one on my desktop. are there any companies that sell these. I have searched but cannot find any.

Thanks

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
James Philp said:
a bit of googling turned up this

I saw those too. I would like to keep my current keyboard and mouse, just have a external trackpad connected to my system as well for use if I would like. Like now, I have my apple pro mouse for most of my use, and a kingston trackball connected all the time as well for use in photoshop and other apps. I would like to have a trackpad as well. I know I'm weird.

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
okay...I found these. Has anyone used the USB models, either the 2 btn or the 4. I'm leaning towards the 2 btn but would like to here some reviews before I take the plunge. Also, I'm still lookign for a few other companys.

Thanks in advance.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
joetronic said:
Thanks. A guy in my office has one. I think I might ask him to bring it in for me to try.

Just a titbit of info: The two guys that created this were Profs at my school (University of Delaware). The pads they created were different from any other pad ever. They required no pressure and allowed multi-touch gestures. Apple paid them to use this technology in the iPod mini and the 4th Gen. Apple also used their technology in the powerbook scroll trackpad. Because of the recent problems with the powerbook trackpads, Apple just hired these two guys full time to design the next Apple trackpad.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
grapes911 said:
Try FingerWorks. They are very expensive, but that is because they are not normal trackpads. You can get more info from the site.
That gesturing stuff reminds me of Minority Report!
Looks pretty cool, but way over my budget!
Think I'll stick with a $30 mouse

joetronic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2004
New Oxford, PA
Can this be used as a normal trackpad, or do you always have to use the gestures? If so thats a little more in the feature dept then I'm looking for.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
joetronic said:
Can this be used as a normal trackpad, or do you always have to use the gestures? If so thats a little more in the feature dept then I'm looking for.

Yeah, its can be used as a normal trackpad. It's expensive just for point and click though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.