Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i have a video display for a project, in MS-DOS format (as required by the device): i've copied mp4s to it, but for each file, i see (on the device only) a file like this:

._title.mp4

anyone know why that is, and (more importantly) how to get rid of these files?

thx

EDIT: ha, think i just figured it out; the files with a space in the name show this, the others don't. so will fix everything, and mark this as RESOLVED (if that does it).
[doublepost=1541725823][/doublepost]

EDIT EDIT: the above made no difference, but the problem's now fixed! i used the 'dot clean' command in the terminal, and all seem to be well...

Last edited:

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
the files with a space in the name show this, the others don't.
Aha! I've been wondering what causes this (when I copy movies onto my Blu-ray player) so it's good to know that that's the cause. Thanks for posting :)

Edit: Doesn't seem quite right; I have "dot files" for movies that don't have spaces in the names.

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
got my ass kicked, until i figured it out. the terminal command is:

dot_clean /Volumes/yourdrivename

i get an error message (about the spotlight file on the sd card), but the others are deleted, and everything plays without issue now.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Aha! I've been wondering what causes this (when I copy movies onto my Blu-ray player) so it's good to know that that's the cause. Thanks for posting :)

Edit: Doesn't seem quite right; I have "dot files" for movies that don't have spaces in the names.

the spaces were not the issue. just some files seem to create a separate metadata file (not sure why some, and not all)..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.