Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
So are there any options for adding extra SATA cables, beyond the two plugs on the motherboard?

I have the Pegasus j2i and adapters to mount 2x2.5” drives in a single 3.5” mount. Is there an easy way to get more SATA connections? PCI card, or cable splitter?

cobra521

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2016
FL
matt,

I used the Neeyer SATA to USB Cable adapter from Amazon to install a 3rd 8TB Samsung SATA SSD. Seems to work OK - no idea of speed but it seems adequate for backups which is how I use it.

There's a USB port just to the left of the two SATA ports in the 7,1

Tom

PS: the wire length was tight - after a little bit of wiggling, everything seemed to fit fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattspace

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
matt,

I used the Neeyer SATA to USB Cable adapter from Amazon to install a 3rd 8TB Samsung SATA SSD. Seems to work OK - no idea of speed but it seems adequate for backups which is how I use it.

There's a USB port just to the left of the two SATA ports in the 7,1

Tom

PS: the wire length was tight - after a little bit of wiggling, everything seemed to fit fine.

I hadn’t thought about the usb port… I could theoretically cannibalise the usb to SATA board out of a drive case, if I wanted to go post-apocalyptic inside the machine ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.