Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Does anybody know of a free website where I can enter a URL and get the favicon and apple touch icons (all resolutions) from a site?

Shadow Jolteon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2018
For favicons, you can use Google's cache of favicons: http://www.google.com/s2/favicons?domain=domain where the bolded "domain" is the domain of the site. If Google hasn't crawled the site or something unusual is set up, it will just display a generic globe icon.

If that solution doesn't work for you, you can also use the developer tools in your preferred browser. In Safari, for example, you can enable them via Safari » Preferences » Advanced » Show Develop in menu bar, then go to Develop » Show Page Resources. The panel that appears will show various resources loaded on the current page. The images section is likely to have what you're looking for.

Additionally, favicons and Apple touch icons are often uploaded to the root directory of a website with their standard filenames, so that may be another way for you to find them.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2013
Thanks for your reply. I am aware of both those methods.

The Google option only pulls low res versions.

The page Resources options has it's own problems. It's fiddly and sometimes doesn't have the icons listed even if they exist.

I was hoping for a website that would just automatically extract them for me.

Miles.Kelly97

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2015
Tunbridge Wells
Thanks for your reply. I am aware of both those methods.

The Google option only pulls low res versions.

The page Resources options has it's own problems. It's fiddly and sometimes doesn't have the icons listed even if they exist.

I was hoping for a website that would just automatically extract them for me.

Would the app SiteSucker (on the Mac App Store) do the trick?

http://ricks-apps.com/osx/sitesucker/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.