Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asus389

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 11, 2019
USA
A couple days ago the battery life of my iphone fell off a cliff. It lasts about 1 hour now, and you can see the battery drop by 3-5-10% while just browsing the web. The battery health in the iPhone settings says 91%, but I plugged it into coconut battery and while the cycle count is 280, the "design capacity" shows ~42%. Prior to this, maybe a day or two earlier, the design capacity showed ~86%. The battery was replaced with an Apple battery about 6 months ago and the phone was working fine following that replacement.

The night before I noticed the issue, the phone spent maybe 30-45 minutes in my car cold with the outside temp around 0F. I had read cold temps can temporarily reduce battery life, and I've experienced that before. But this is still going on several days and multiple charge cycles later. Did my battery get permanently damaged by the cold? Any way to resuscitate it or do I need to replace it?

Screenshot 2024-01-16 at 12.19.12 PM.png

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
That’s a big drop, and since there’s been no recovery in 3 days, unfortunately it’s dead. New battery time!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
In general low temps will not damage the battery, unless you tried to charge it when it was very cold.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.