Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chatin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2005
Who wants a Classic Macintosh customized, for practically no money - in the spirit of Mac designer, Burrell Smith? Lots of people, according to some recent Mac Color Classic sales on eBay.

Sample Modified Color Classics.

What's driving the Extreme Mac modifications craze?

#1) The new Apple Mactels aren't going to support Classic. (Or if they are, the writing is on the wall for discontinued Classic OS) If you want a new Classic Mac that hasn't been invented yet, then be prepared to build your own.

#2) The prices of old Macs are at an all time low. I purchased 5 Macintosh Color Classics recently for $10 each! And this is THE system of choice for Mac classic modifications.

#3) Retro is in. Books like "Revolution in the Valley, the Insanely Great Story of How The Mac was Made," have Mac fanatics revisiting our roots.

What are the Mac modification challenges? (Besides time and expertise)

#1) Most of the upgrade makers are out of business. Getting a backplate or custom part can be a challenge, so when inventory presents itself. Buy it!

#2) If you think Apple's best work was done in the 1980's, you're at odds with Steve Jobs' current reality distortion field and nearly every developer working on the OSX platform. There isn't going to be new software for your creations unless you can write it yourself.

#3) Mac Museums and Apple will hate your guts. This is not what a good mac consumer was supposed to be doing with Mac Color Classic parts. After all, Apple did make the Color Classic II. (Which I have never actually seen!)
:D

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
I like the one with the G4 Cube inside the Color Classic. I think its on Applefritter, nevermind Applefritter has been hacked and is offline

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Spock said:
I like the one with the G4 Cube inside the Color Classic. I think its on Applefritter, nevermind Applefritter has been hacked and is offline
Wow, that's the first time I've been able to even view Applefritter at all for the lat six months. For some reason, I can't connect to Applefritter. I can on the network at my dad's shop, but not at home. The funny thing is that I could use it on my home network before, but now I can't. I made absolutely no network changes, it just stopped working. I hope I can access it when they get it back up.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
dsharits said:
Wow, that's the first time I've been able to even view Applefritter at all for the lat six months. ...

They were just hacked very recently ...

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
a quick scan with network utility shows there site is not very secure. ssh is open.

dsharits

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2004
Plant City, FL
Yes!! After eight months of not being able to access Applefritter, their recently rebuilt server works fine for me. I can now finally get back up to speed with all of the 'frittering'. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.