Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Has Apple’s Innovative Magic Died?

• Yes, years ago

Votes: 69 25.7%
  • Maybe lately

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Unsure

Votes: 27 10.0%
  • No. They’re just as innovative!

Votes: 148 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
I’m not so sure that Apple knows what the **** it’s doing.
:apple: My overall confidence in their pipeline and visionary mythology of introducing show-stopping products that are revolutionary and exciting may very well have died with Steve Jobbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
Agreed. The switch to M1 will have long term impacts in their ability to innovate their products over time.

What is missing from Apple for a long time now is a market disrupting product but these don't come that often. Personally, I can't wait to see what Apple does in the next 5 years with their unified hardware/software approach being realized to its fullest potential.

The only downside of Apple I see now is buggy software. Whether that's years of technical debt built up over time or complexity, they really need to focus on making their software more solid and bug free.

Deliro

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2011
:apple: My overall confidence in their pipeline and visionary mythology of introducing show-stopping products that are revolutionary and exciting may very well have died with Steve Jobbs.

I really doubt that Jobs management style would endear him to the current generation of workers. You need that kind of driven individual to get people out of their comfort zone to do their best work. Today we applaud mediocrity and everyone needs affirmation.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
iMac, the historical Apple product, reduced to an ugly and weak machine without any possibility to upgrade and repair it later.
These machines aren't able to last for a decade and neither for a five-year period.
Steve I miss you.
Ya'll realize, this is the lower end "consumer" machine right?

The successor to the 27" is probably coming in a few months, and THAT machine will likely be more expandable and be far more capable, and most importantly come in Space Grey. :)

FireFish

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2007
The 'switch to the M1' is a glorified way to avoid continuing to pay Intel their royalties. That's really all it is.
I have every single generation iPhone and iPad, and noticed when I line them up to see year-over-year progression, it's been a pattern of:
  • Removing a key hardware component, causing an uproar, but swearing it is better off.
  • Returning to the older hardware component that was once removed, and now bring it back (Lightning to USB-C and now change yet again).
  • Thunderbolt (what a waste).
  • Watching the form factor for the iPhones go back & forth between cylindrical then back to rectangular.
  • Now I'm hearing fingerprint biometric is coming back??!!

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
Ya'll realize, this is the lower end "consumer" machine right?

The successor to the 27" is probably coming in a few months, and THAT machine will likely be more expandable and be far more capable, and most importantly come in Space Grey. :)
Don’t tell them that! Let’s hope those whiners bugger off some where else.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
And who are Apple? Just Tim Cook? Or many thousands of up and coming developers trying very hard, in a particularly challenging period of human existenc, to provide useful products, whilst keeping people employed, and making money!
You argue for Steve’s return! He’s dad, and if he wasn’t, he’d be as ruthless on the bottom line as Tim Cook is alleged to be!

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
You don't see the bigger picture... They are introducing all the low to low mid range devices first. And Compared to the old Intel tech they are amazing. They have said over and over over its a 2 year plan. If these devices are the low end where they are 3-50% faster than old stuff when the higher end stuff comes out you are going to be needing diapers. And in no way can you say the the new MBA is worse or missing tech compared to the intel junk.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
the excitement and innovation is gone while the disposability gets stronger every year.
yeah, that M1 chip is great, all day battery life, snappy response on Big Sur (just like 2008 snow leopard)
but the RAM, SSD upgrades costs are more robbery than assistance.
and we cant perform these upgrades, need that "genius" or cheating tech shop down the road.
Not having an app that runs on a iPad on these new laptops is a major disappointment.
this new iMacs are not for computer people rather than feeble small business owners or just a cheap cliché.

now you kids at home, keep your older  products, get a proper screwdriver and bookmark fixit
and stay here on mac forums to fix these  products yourself, they are easy tough and fun to repair!
don't be afraid to ask question here on how to fix or get your MacBook, iPod working better
we love helping those and will try to keep these  products magical!

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
the excitement and innovation is gone while the disposability gets stronger every year.
yeah, that M1 chip is great, all day battery life, snappy response on Big Sur (just like 2008 snow leopard)
but the RAM, SSD upgrades costs are more robbery than assistance.
and we cant perform these upgrades, need that "genius" or cheating tech shop down the road.
Not having an app that runs on a iPad on these new laptops is a major disappointment.
this new iMacs are not for computer people rather than feeble small business owners or just a cheap cliché.

now you kids at home, keep your older  products, get a proper screwdriver and bookmark fixit
and stay here on mac forums to fix these  products yourself, they are easy tough and fun to repair!
don't be afraid to ask question here on how to fix or get your MacBook, iPod working better
we love helping those and will try to keep these  products magical!
You got to pay to play.

Sikh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
iMac, the historical Apple product, reduced to an ugly and weak machine without any possibility to upgrade and repair it later.
These machines aren't able to last for a decade and neither for a five-year period.
Steve I miss you.

I think you are confused. These changes will make the computer last a lot longer because less parts are able to fail. My iPad Air from 2013(?) is still alive whereas my wifes old 2011 imac needed a hard drive replaced twice and 1 fan replacement. This is expected cause hard drives die. However a all in one logic board like the iPad will usually outlast the battery and thats ok cause batteries can be replaced for up to 7 years and even more than that via third party. I think you are confused :)

gren81

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2013
I think you are confused. These changes will make the computer last a lot longer because less parts are able to fail. My iPad Air from 2013(?) is still alive whereas my wifes old 2011 imac needed a hard drive replaced twice and 1 fan replacement. This is expected cause hard drives die. However a all in one logic board like the iPad will usually outlast the battery and thats ok cause batteries can be replaced for up to 7 years and even more than that via third party. I think you are confused :)

My mid-2012 MacBook Pro is rock-solid and was MacOS upgraded until now. I updated to SSD; otherwise, 8 GB RAM is just fine.

Come this Fall, I may very well upgrade to a newer MacBook.

If I had a PC, I would probably be on my third laptop by now.

I agree that the OS needs more testing because if more and more features. IMO, Steve Jobs would be proud in private while publicly demanding much more. Apple leadership is doing well - always room to do more and better.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
Steve I miss you.

I see you’ve been using Apple products since 2010. Here’s a bit of a longer perspective:

1: “Weak” how, exactly? The M1 is faster than the models it is replacing (the 21.5” iMac)

2: Before Apple switched to their silver / black Bahaus aesthetic, their products were really whimsical. Look up the iMac G3 if you’re unaware. Even their “Pro” line up, the PowerMac G3, was bright blue and translucent. Ugly is a matter of opinion.

3: Given that they're more powerful than nearly any other Mac in the lineup (for example, blowing away my 2018 15” machine which was more than 2X the cost), what makes you say they won’t last a long time, exactly?

4: You’ve been using Apple products since 2010, yes? Ever heard of the MacBook Air? Plenty of 2010 / 2011 models still going strong, and they were just obsoleted with the last security update to High Sierra last year. That’s literally 10 years of support.

Repairs become much less of an issue with the M1. There isn’t a dGPU to cook itself and die out after a few years, nor an internal power supply which becomes finicky with age (both issues I currently have with my 2011 27” iMac).

Steve’s ethos was simple: Make elegant products and focus on the experience. Subjective design criteria aside, where is your rationalization coming from?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
The 'switch to the M1' is a glorified way to avoid continuing to pay Intel their royalties. That's really all it is.
I have every single generation iPhone and iPad, and noticed when I line them up to see year-over-year progression, it's been a pattern of:
  • Removing a key hardware component, causing an uproar, but swearing it is better off.
  • Returning to the older hardware component that was once removed, and now bring it back (Lightning to USB-C and now change yet again).
  • Thunderbolt (what a waste).
  • Watching the form factor for the iPhones go back & forth between cylindrical then back to rectangular.
  • Now I'm hearing fingerprint biometric is coming back??!!

There has never been a cylindrical iphone.
Thunderbolt has, what, 4x the bandwidth of the alternative?
Nothing changed from usb-c to lightning.
Apple has never stopped making devices with fingerprint biometrics.

Your post is full of inane theories.

AdamNC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2018
Leland NC
You know my dad owned a Apple Reseller from 1984 till his death in 2013. 3 Times people said the same BS you all are saying about innovation, death of Apple, taking the soul from Apple blah blah blah. 1)Firing of Steve Jobs. 2)Rehiring of Steve Jobs and his introduction of the iMac, and third going to Intel. He lost customers all 3 times. Only for them to come back. People have always hated new and drastic changes. Hell I remember the Intel screams..."Microsoft will buy us out in 3-4 years, ect, etc. The iMac was seen as ugly by consumers, and business's. But it saved and gave huge returns. The M1 is incredible for a first generation SOC. as for the past and wanting Apple to go backwards to older looks, and tech... they have never done that and never will. Do I agree with everything, like all the political pandering and environment stuff... no..... but it's not my company. I am a consumer of their products. And I believe that Apple does and will alway make the best product. sure it might not look exactly how I want it to or what not but it beats the hell out of PC and has way better quality then any PC or Microsoft crap out there.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010

Okay, let’s hear what you feel is missing and would like to see in Apple products. Right now, I don’t read anything to the effect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.