Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Thanks for the info --- so I'm looking at ordering this: https://www.belkin.com/us/p/F2CU052bt1M-BLK/

One question --- I connect one end to the 2080 ti USB-C port, but what about the connection at the xdr --- does it plug into the Thunderbolt port, or one of the USB-C ports?
Thunderbolt port is the input for either Thunderbolt or USB-C. The other ports are USB only for connecting devices such as mouse / keyboard (those ports are limited to USB 2.0 when using USB-C input instead of Thunderbolt input).
[automerge]1595462527[/automerge]
Did you try the Thunderbolt 3 cable that comes with the XDR? I think it's supposed to work with USB-C and Thunderbolt sources.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Did you try the Thunderbolt 3 cable that comes with the XDR? I think it's supposed to work with USB-C and Thunderbolt sources.

I also wonder why not use the original cable. I'm using this cable for all of my sources to XDR. In fact, I have tried like 5 laptops, and this cable has never come off the Thunderbolt 3 port at the back of XDR. All support at least 5k, and controlling of the brightness also works with Windows systems.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
The cable that comes with the XDR and which is sold separately as the Apple Thunderbolt 3 Pro Cable (2m) is special because it supports both Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C/DisplayPort connections (most Thunderbolt 3 cables of this length only support Thunderbolt 3). The cable might qualify as a Thunderbolt 4 cable because of that.

Stairway

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
I did try the TB3 cable that came with the XDR --- no video at all, just black screen. Then I tried the Belkin Gen 2 USB-C 3.1 cable (one end in the rtx card and the other end into the TB input of the XDR. Works like a champ.

The rear USB-C ports on the XDR work, HDR works, and I get the brightness and mode control in Bootcamp manager. As a side note, I also get the BIOS screen during the PC boot (Gigabyte TRX40 Designare).

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
It's very strange that I suddently realized recently that the resolution of my XDR when plugged to the Windows PC laptop with RTX 2080 is only 5K, instead of previously 6K. What have changed? I have tried many ways, but no luck. I don't see much difference to be honest, that's why I didn't find out about this change. Maybe it's because Apple has updated the firmware so that when XDR sense that the source is Windows, it locks the maximum resolution to 5K? Too bad.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
It's very strange that I suddently realized recently that the resolution of my XDR when plugged to the Windows PC laptop with RTX 2080 is only 5K, instead of previously 6K. What have changed? I have tried many ways, but no luck. I don't see much difference to be honest, that's why I didn't find out about this change. Maybe it's because Apple has updated the firmware so that when XDR sense that the source is Windows, it locks the maximum resolution to 5K? Too bad.
Check the EDID with CRU. Does it include the 6K option? CRU only supports a couple extension blocks because they say Nvidia only supports a couple extension blocks. Maybe the 6K option is in a later extension block that is ignored? Then the solution would be to rearrange the extension blocks so 6K is in an earlier extension block.

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Check the EDID with CRU. Does it include the 6K option? CRU only supports a couple extension blocks because they say Nvidia only supports a couple extension blocks. Maybe the 6K option is in a later extension block that is ignored? Then the solution would be to rearrange the extension blocks so 6K is in an earlier extension block.
1602669092176.png
1602669170450.png

Here I'm attaching the screenshot from the CRU, and I think the first one is XDR, with the second one the internal screen of the PC laptop. From the screenshot, the extensikon blocks are empty. I didn't record the status when the 6K resolution was available in March, so I don't know what has changed. What should I do now?

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Here I'm attaching the screenshot from the CRU, and I think the first one is XDR, with the second one the internal screen of the PC laptop. From the screenshot, the extensikon blocks are empty. I didn't record the status when the 6K resolution was available in March, so I don't know what has changed. What should I do now?
Add a DisplayID extension block with the 6K timings.

You had this problem back in February (with the A022 product ID). I don't remember what the solution was. In macOS, AE22 would be automatically overridden by an override file with product ID AE23 (attached). Do you still have the Boot Camp drivers installed?

Attachments

• EDID_APP_610_ae23_2_edid-decode.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 136

henrymyf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 2, 2015
Add a DisplayID extension block with the 6K timings.

You had this problem back in February (with the A022 product ID). I don't remember what the solution was. In macOS, AE22 would be automatically overridden by an override file with product ID AE23 (attached). Do you still have the Boot Camp drivers installed?
Could you explain how I could install the attached EDID file to the DisplayID extension block? I tried to import, but failed. I'm rather rookie in terms of displaying and graphics, so please let me know about the details of operation.

Back in February, the low resolution problem was solved by updating the graphics card driver.

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Could you explain how I could install the attached EDID file to the DisplayID extension block? I tried to import, but failed. I'm rather rookie in terms of displaying and graphics, so please let me know about the details of operation.

Back in February, the low resolution problem was solved by updating the graphics card driver.
Create it manually with the CRU ui. Use the numbers from the edid-decode output.

pixbroker22

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
California, USA
I am trying to use my XDR Pro Display on a Windows 10 PC with Gigabyte Titan Ridge Rev 2.0 and Quadro RTX 4000 GPU.

When i connect the XDR to the Quadro RTX 4000 directly using the "Moshi USB-C to Displayport" cable, i get the 6k resolution. But of course, no USB hub functionality of the XDR.

When i connect a "displayport to mini-displayport" cable (the one that came with titan ridge) from the Quadro RTX 4000 to the Titan ridge MDP1, and then connect the XDR to the Titan Ridge thunderbolt USB-C port 1 using the Thunderbolt cable that came with the XDR, i get only 5k resolution. The good news is that i DO get USB-C functionality of the XDR's USB hub.

Sadly, the NVIDIA control panel has the custom resolution button greyed out, so i was unable to try to add 6k manually.

I have attached some screenshots of the relevant settings for both cases. Anyone has some ideas what i could try to get the full 6k via thunderbolt?

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 139
  • display.jpg
    display.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 142
  • moshi-nvidia.jpg
    moshi-nvidia.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 136
  • moshi display settings.jpg
    moshi display settings.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 169
  • nvidia-settings.jpg
    nvidia-settings.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 140

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
I am trying to use my XDR Pro Display on a Windows 10 PC with Gigabyte Titan Ridge Rev 2.0 and Quadro RTX 4000 GPU.

When i connect the XDR to the Quadro RTX 4000 directly using the "Moshi USB-C to Displayport" cable, i get the 6k resolution. But of course, no USB hub functionality of the XDR.

When i connect a "displayport to mini-displayport" cable (the one that came with titan ridge) from the Quadro RTX 4000 to the Titan ridge MDP1, and then connect the XDR to the Titan Ridge thunderbolt USB-C port 1 using the Thunderbolt cable that came with the XDR, i get only 5k resolution. The good news is that i DO get USB-C functionality of the XDR's USB hub.

Sadly, the NVIDIA control panel has the custom resolution button greyed out, so i was unable to try to add 6k manually.

I have attached some screenshots of the relevant settings for both cases. Anyone has some ideas what i could try to get the full 6k via thunderbolt?
same question asked at #83

kevin2626

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
china
Yes, I tried to repeat the installation process and I found out that the little detail that I have forgotten to mention:

Don't double click on the "Setup.exe" file in /BootCamp6.1.7748/BootCamp/ (because you would get an error "This version of bootcamp is not intended for this computer model"), but instead run the "BootCamp.msi" file in /BootCamp6.1.7748/BootCamp/Drivers/Apple/.

After the installation, you need to restart the computer, and then, the BootCamp logo will be in the tray at the bottom right corner. Of course, the "boot from Mac OS X" functionality doesn't work.
Why is my monitor not recognizing

Attachments

• 微信图片_20220114133156.jpg
    微信图片_20220114133156.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 84

kevin2626

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
china
How is the display connected? What is it connected to? Do you have it connected with USB?
I use the motherboard with Thunderbolt 4 to connect to the monitor directly, my cpu model is 11700K, I am using a nuclear display now, but bootcamp can not detect my monitor, I am very distressed

kevin2626

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
china
How is the display connected? What is it connected to? Do you have it connected with USB?
I guess the pro display xdr does not have the ddc/ci function, because if I use another host with a 3060ti graphics card to connect, the brightness can be adjusted. I don't know if this is the reason.

kevin2626

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2021
china
Forgot to mention that I used the included Thunderbolt 3 data cable,Connected to Gigabyte z590 motherboard with Thunderbolt 4 interface.

whlabus

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
I'm having this same issue. I just built a PC with an Asus Z790 motherboard and RTX 4090 FE. I've connected the XDR Display using the Belkin VR Sync Cable by connecting the DisplayPort cable to the GPU and the two USB cables to the USB ports on my motherboard.

I downloaded the latest Boot Camp drivers for the 2019 Mac Pro and installed them by running the BootCamp.msi installer using Command Prompt in Windows (run as administrator). The install appeared to work but 1) even after restarting there's no Boot Camp control panel icon in the task bar and 2) opening the Boot Camp control panel through Windows Control Panel, I get the message "No supported external displays connected" under the Display tab.

My Logitech webcam works perfectly when connected to the XDR Display, so the USB ports are definitely working.

This exact same setup was working perfectly with my 2019 Mac Pro under Boot Camp when using a 2080 Ti GPU that I installed in it. I was able to adjust brightness using the Magic Keyboard function keys as well as through the Boot Camp control panel. Anyone know why it wouldn't work with an Asus motherboard + 4090?

Ilysia

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2020
Same issue with the "no supported external displays connected" since i have change my computer with a 4090 instead of a 2080ti.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.