Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
I had my iPad mini gen 4 64GB repaired at Apple so I got a refurbished device.
When I started it I restored from my iPad Pro 256 GB backup, resulting in the Mini became full. I erased lots of apps and data etc, but still with 32GB free its extremely slow. Updates, reboots etc, still just to get the keyboard to switch from letters to numbers takes three seconds.
I will now restore it as new, even disabling iCloud backup seems to take 10 minutes.
I will report back here with my findings.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I had my iPad mini gen 4 64GB repaired at Apple so I got a refurbished device.
When I started it I restored from my iPad Pro 256 GB backup, resulting in the Mini became full. I erased lots of apps and data etc, but still with 32GB free its extremely slow. Updates, reboots etc, still just to get the keyboard to switch from letters to numbers takes three seconds.
I will now restore it as new, even disabling iCloud backup seems to take 10 minutes.
I will report back here with my findings.
I had the gen 4 but upgraded to the 5 and believe me it’s much much faster! I was having speed issues with the 4 so the 5 is much nicer.

Reactions: max2

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
The iPad Mini 4 is pretty marginal and slow at this point. IMO there just isn't enough RAM (2 GB) for the last version of iPadOS (15) that was released for it. If it had even 3GB of RAM I think it would still be fine, but that's not the way Apple does things.

Reactions: max2 and SeenJeen

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
The iPad Mini 4 is pretty marginal and slow at this point. IMO there just isn't enough RAM (2 GB) for the last version of iPadOS (15) that was released for it. If it had even 3GB of RAM I think it would still be fine, but that's not the way Apple does things.

Nah. That A8 is just way too slow at this point.

It’s around 1/5 the performance of the M1 in single-core, 1/10 in multi-core and around 1/40 in GPU compute. Even compared to the 2019 mini 5 (A12), it’s 1/3 single, 1/4 multi and 1/10 compute.

Reactions: max2 and Digitalguy

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
The OP never reported back, but my guess is that the issue was not storage. One possible issue was the upgrade to iPadOS 15. My mini 4 was decent until IOS 12, started slowing down with 13 and was almost killed by 14. Mini 5 is 4 generations newer, so not even close...

kave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Reporting back. A restore made it much better, but still is so slow, I guess its ipad OS 15 to blame. Basic use was never a problem during its first years. I actually had a loaner new mini gen 6, but that felt choppy compared to my current gen iPad pro m1. Thats why I decided to repair/exchange the mini 4, but for the price I payed to apple it was not worth it. I somehow forgot how dam old this device was.
Sidenote, I sometimes bring out my first gen ipad, it still feels faster with iOS 7 or whatever that runs.

ratsg

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2010
there really needs to be a way to get back to older releases. Yea, security, ......

At least an older device can be usable for some things.

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
Nah. That A8 is just way too slow at this point.

It’s around 1/5 the performance of the M1 in single-core, 1/10 in multi-core and around 1/40 in GPU compute. Even compared to the 2019 mini 5 (A12), it’s 1/3 single, 1/4 multi and 1/10 compute.

The OP never reported back, but my guess is that the issue was not storage. One possible issue was the upgrade to iPadOS 15. My mini 4 was decent until IOS 12, started slowing down with 13 and was almost killed by 14. Mini 5 is 4 generations newer, so not even close...

Yep. Had the same experience. iOS 15 was something I wished I had never upgraded the Mini 4 to. 😄

Anecdotally, I have an old Huawei Android tablet from around the same era. It came with 4GB of RAM and still works great.

kave

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Sweden
Yep. Had the same experience. iOS 15 was something I wished I had never upgraded the Mini 4 to. 😄

Anecdotally, I have an old Huawei Android tablet from around the same era. It came with 4GB of RAM and still works great.
So getting NO updates is an actual advantage for the Android OS :). Security etc crap but great performance.

Reactions: rui no onna

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Lol, I kept my iPad 4 on iOS 6 for the longest time. UI and apps were smooth/responsive.

It was pretty crap for web browsing though (slow rendering and lotsa webpage incompatibilities).

Reactions: ratsg
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.