Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottasu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2007
Curious if anybody out there, who previously experienced eye strain while using the iPhone X, has installed iOS 12 beta on the device and if that has led to a decrease in eye strain?

Last edited:

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
The only eye strain I've experienced with my X on 11.4 was when I was laying in bed and dropped it on my face.

One time, I was using my X outside during the day and a flash of sun reflected off my screen and hurt my eyes for a few seconds.

Oh, I think that was 11.2, though.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey
I’ve not noticed any eye strain but your mileage may vary. I have however noticed a dramatic decrease in brightness at times were it wasn’t warranted on iOS 12.

thewhitetower

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2011
Been running iOS 12 since it came out and I have noticed a marked improvement in my eye strain

Previously it was so bad that I went back to an iPhone 8...

Now the discomfort is negligible and not as intense as before...and I actually think that the eye soreness is to do with my watching of the World Cup and the early hours!

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Fair enough. I understand. But installing iOS 12 does not change the technology of the screen, which is basically what the OP was asking.

Reactions: sunking101

rijc99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2015
No OP was referring to a thread where people were talking about the X giving them eye strain or headaches. There was a theory that it was the way Apple was implementing PWM. PWM is driven by software so it’s possible to be modified. Similar to how flashing lights on your tv can give people seizures depending on the speed of the flashes. But if you just adjust that a little it doesn’t.

Reactions: timeconsumer

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
It's the same screen, so what could be different?

Im not running the beta yet but I can tell you that the X has screen flickering happening when it first released, then it was fixed. The newest iOS 11 release has brought it back. Screen flickers when unlocking, opening/closing an app, switching apps. No set pattern. It's not bad but it's rather annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.