Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

john g.

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
That's really too bad. Sadly Apple has no choice if they continue to use Samsung screens. You should look at the LG V30 if you and your son wanted to buy OLED phones. The phone is stunning and what the X should've looked like. Apparently later batches of the phone have been better, and Verizon also has a $200 pre-paid gift card offer on the V30. It's a good deal, in my opinion ($640 when it's all said and done).

Thanks for the suggestion. I have an 8 that I going to stick with. My son has a 6S. We were just curious about the X.

One other thing I wish the X had was the zoomed view for the display like the 6 - 8 series.
Maybe they will address both issues and I will be lured to the X, but content for now.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Thanks for the suggestion. I have an 8 that I going to stick with. My son has a 6S. We were just curious about the X.

One other thing I wish the X had was the zoomed view for the display like the 6 - 8 series.
Maybe they will address both issues and I will be lured to the X, but content for now.
I couldn't agree more! I had that on my iPhone 6S Plus and I really miss it on the X.
As for having headaches, I'm in the same boat. I feel like it's related to the fact that I'm still adjusting to the smaller font on the X.

Reactions: VincentCologne

Mojopin

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2011
I'm perplexed why they didn't include the display zoom option on the X it makes no sense and matters to people like me with crap eyes. There's also an "in between" size of text they should have included on the text scale, right before the setting that excludes the profile pics in messaging. The setting prior to that is just a little too small still and then it jumps a bit too much. The struggle

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
That’s really interesting.

I have chronic migraines, to the point where I get Botox for migraines, and take two prophylactic meds daily. I also get something called optical migraines, which are a different type of migraine altogether. I’m pretty sensitive to screens, and various types of lights in general.

I haven’t noticed anything different since Friday.

I’ll keep an eye (lol) on it moving forward.

JTravers

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
I suffer from migraines and did notice some eye strain when I first got the X. For me, however, I believe it was due to the sub-pixel anti-aliasing and the diamond pentile structure of the display. I got the same issues when I first moved from Windows to macOS. Windows doesn't anti-alias its fonts, while macOS does. My eyes weren't used to it, and it resulted in eye strain/fatigue. Fortunately, for me at least, the issue went away within a day as my eyes adjusted to it. The same thing happened for me with the X, as well.

Hopefully, it's only a temporary issue for you, but if it isn't then it is probably related to the PWM or something else OLED-specific.

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
“At any level of brightness, modulation with a frequency of approximately 60 or 240 Hz is present"

https://translate.googleusercontent...x.html&usg=ALkJrhgE-BSgBDhYdneV5qZKMZi0Q1SYvg

I've had eye pain and headaches since 11/3. Coincidence? I don't know.
I had a raging headache most of sunday and had hoped it was something else, but it’s the first headache I’ve had in a month, so probably the X.

Have you used cell phones with oled screen before? If not, your eye strain may be due to oled screens and their refresh rate amongst other things. Alot of people have headaches fro oled screens. Google and youll find alot of posts about it.
I believe the refresh rate for most of these devices is 60. The problem is the backlight flickering instead of using DC to lower the brightness. Apparently, the X is 240hz.

Apple just released a document that says minor to medium migraines might occur when using the X.

so this is normal.
I Also, another thing I found out is that this display uses what’s known as pulse-width modulation (PWM) to dim the brightness of the display.
Do not use iPhone X if you are allergic to iPhone X. Side effects may include nausea, headache, migraine, vomiting, pain, sweating, nervousness, or mild death. If you experience any of these symptoms, discontinue use of iPhone X and make a Genius Bar appointment.
Where did you all get this info? Can you give us a link so we can read about it?

Go and see an optician.
I think this has less to do with the phone and more to do with your eyes. See a doctor
No, please visit your nearest ophthalmologist.
Every ophthalmologist I’ve seen hasn’t been familiar with this. Also, I don’t believe there’s anything we can do to alleviate this issue. Some of us have a different cone/rod layout and can perceive this flicker. It’s not all bad news tho. In addition to some flicker free products available, we also seem to “visualize faster” and notice things others do not. For example, my bro and I were mountain biking and he went in front of me, then I followed a few seconds later and came to a dead stop in front a tiny spider on a web just above my head. Also, I tend to have a quicker reaction time when playing FPS than my friends.

Reactions: ReneeReader

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Well, they admitted the screen burn in was real!

Anyway, I packed mine up.

Really? Why wont you just drop the phone if you get burn in and have it replaced? Do you also have a migraine?

Jodiuh

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2009
Really? Why wont you just drop the phone if you get burn in and have it replaced? Do you also have a migraine?
Drop phone?

I spent about 16 hours yesterday with a nasty headache. I wouldn't say I get migraines on the regular. It's the first headache I've had in a month or so. I thought it might have been lack of sleep or a rebound headache after taking ibuprofen for back pain, but I experienced a low grade headache today and eye pain whenever I spent more than 15 seconds with the X.

Reactions: flowave

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Drop phone?

I spent about 16 hours yesterday with a nasty headache. I wouldn't say I get migraines on the regular. It's the first headache I've had in a month or so. I thought it might have been lack of sleep or a rebound headache after taking ibuprofen for back pain, but I experienced a low grade headache today and eye pain whenever I spent more than 15 seconds with the X.

Drop phone in case they won’t agree to replace it so you can simply break it ;)

About the migraine, that is definitely a bad sign. Did you get these when using other OLED phones? Or now is your 1st time? What about OLED screens then?

Reactions: Jodiuh

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Have you tried turning off Face ID? On my Samsung phones, when I would use the iris scanner it would feel weird on my eyes, and they would actually start to hurt a little if the scan was taking too long. Wonder if the ir camera as part of Face ID might be causing this.

Does anyone know if you turn off Face ID, will that turn off the ir scanner?

You could also just try turning off these features of Face ID first and see if that helps.
964a2d726751c1b6d28ba8f96dfde5c6.jpg

Last edited:

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
I deactivated everything now, looking with another camera to the Face ID module I still see some intermittent beaming, but I think it is the proximity sensor (near the flood illuminator)

spencermfi

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
The eye strain issue is very real for me especially in the evening. It's not causing persistent headaches, but it's simply irritating to look at. It's especially apparent when I switch back to looking at my 6 which causes no problems. There seems to also be a pink cast over the whole screen (even with all the true tone/night shift etc turned off), so I'll take a look at another phone in store. Either way, this thing is going back.

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
I don’t know if they could and will actually solve this by software update, I have to get used, or I better swap it for an 8 plus waiting for future years Display tech

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
Wow! This is crazy. I'm sure Apple consulted medical professionals before implementing Face ID. Maybe certain conditions do no allow for Face ID use.

vannix

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2010
Wow! This is crazy. I'm sure Apple consulted medical professionals before implementing Face ID. Maybe certain conditions do no allow for Face ID use.

The long term effects of the Face ID are unknown for sure, but the eyestrain and problems are derived by the OLED screen I think, not the TrueDepth camera

rjruiz2

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
I've experienced the same with the OLED. I think it's just the nature of the OLED vs the LCD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.