Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_prince31

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Hi everyone! I just wanna know if I am the only one experiencing this problem with face ID and apple watch unlock feature. I am using the regular iPhone 13 and apple watch SE by the way. “Face ID with a mask” and “Unlock with apple watch” features turned on.

I noticed the problem when my youngest brother accidentally unlocked my phone’s face ID while he was wearing a mask. I was wearing my apple watch when I got the notification that my iPhone has been unlocked. I thought at first, that the reason behind it was just we’re lookalike, but I literally freaked out when my friends tried it and they’ve unlocked my phone while their masks are on.

Is this normal and am I the only one experiencing this issue?

If this topic had already been posted, kindly leave the link on the comments and close this one.

Thanks! 😊

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Normal. My daughter unlocks my phone all the time if the phone is too close to me and I’m wearing my watch.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Unlock with Apple Watch doesn't actually scan your face. It scans for a mask and then if the watch is close it simply unlocks. There's not much point in using it on an iPhone 13 since it already supports Face ID with a mask without the watch. It will mostly just reduce security having it on as you saw here.

"Face ID with a mask" is the newer version that's exclusively for iPhone 12 and 13 devices. It actually does scan your face before unlocking.

Reactions: Devyn89

xenoako

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2021
Unlock with Apple Watch doesn't actually scan your face. It scans for a mask and then if the watch is close it simply unlocks. There's not much point in using it on an iPhone 13 since it already supports Face ID with a mask without the watch. It will mostly just reduce security having it on as you saw here.

"Face ID with a mask" is the newer version that's exclusively for iPhone 12 and 13 devices. It actually does scan your face before unlocking.
My issue is the reverse of the OP. I have an iW8 and iP14P which at various times fails to unlock when I am wearing a mask. (I thought it best not to create a new thread which may however complication the conversation.)
I have read the piece here: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/unlock-with-apple-watch-fix/
When I look at the iW setting I noticed an emphasis on making certain one's eyes are looking at the iP.
I understand the security issues like that illustrated by the OP but it does limit the utility of this feature.
What happens if I disengage the "require attention for face id" in the real world? My iP is always in my possession.

Attachments

• IMG_9171.PNG
    IMG_9171.PNG
    456.7 KB · Views: 63

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
My issue is the reverse of the OP. I have an iW8 and iP14P which at various times fails to unlock when I am wearing a mask. (I thought it best not to create a new thread which may however complication the conversation.)
I have read the piece here: https://www.macrumors.com/how-to/unlock-with-apple-watch-fix/
When I look at the iW setting I noticed an emphasis on making certain one's eyes are looking at the iP.
I understand the security issues like that illustrated by the OP but it does limit the utility of this feature.
What happens if I disengage the "require attention for face id" in the real world? My iP is always in my possession.
I would think turning it off does nothing if you're wearing a mask as the description says. If you aren't wearing a mask your phone will unlock even if you aren't looking at the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.