Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
In recent times it started that face ID fails while I’m outside in the sun or in bright conditions.

inside it mostly works.

so i tried to reset FaceID outside, but it doesn’t even recognize my face according to the message in the process.

what i can see is that there is some dust under the front facing camera. Even if the XS was never opened. Still selfies look perfectly fine.

but maybe there is also dust under the scanner. Does someone have experience with cleaning that?

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
No issues here in direct sunlight, I’d have apple look at it, worse case scenario you get a replacement and away you go. ?

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Your phone is probably fine. The problem was the direct sunlight on your phone, which can cast light as a bright prism making it almost impossible for the sensor to properly read your face at that moment.
Well it was working fine outside for the last years. Just recently it started.
It makes no difference if The phone is in direct light or Just my face.
And we are still in winter sun...

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Well it was working fine outside for the last years. Just recently it started.
It makes no difference if The phone is in direct light or Just my face.
And we are still in winter sun...
With this information, it sounds like you may have a problem. Have you tried redoing Face ID or setting up as new? Usually with Face ID failure, you get an onscreen warning message.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Well yes. As stated above if i reset and try to do it outside it doesn’t even recognize my face. Just inside i can to the scan.
Thats why i asked about the cleaning process.

i mean i would go to an apple store. But atm i’m stuck in Croatia with no stores here. The next are in Italy. But boarders crossing to Italy require an negative PCR test costing 100€. And now they have lockdown anyway

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
ok so I opened it up today. as you can see on the pictures it was a looooot of dust inside covering all the sensors.
used pressured air to clean it out and voila FaceID works again:)

DSC09150.JPG

DSC09152.JPG

this is after cleaning. yes water resistance isn't anymore...

DSC09154.JPG

DSC09155.JPG

hkoksalk

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2021
ok so I opened it up today. as you can see on the pictures it was a looooot of dust inside covering all the sensors.

View attachment 1750300

View attachment 1750301

View attachment 1750303

View attachment 1750302
It is shamefull that this much dust can get inside a dust/water resistance device.

anyways, I have exactly the same problem, I can see the dust just by looking at it. Faceid works perfect indoor, perfect in shady/dark outdoor setting, and almost impossible to get it to work when outside on a shiny day.

I have a 3 y/o Iphone XS, without any repair history. I’ve just got out of Apple Store 2 mins ago. They said they’d either need to change the screen (around 360€), or change the phone (around 650€). I said, I understand that my device is out of warranty, but it is also apparent that the cause is not misuse, and the seals of the phone failed to keep the dust out, why do I have to pay such a high cost? They said they understand my reasoning but there’s nothing they can do because warranty period is over.
Frustrated as hell.

Thanks for sharing the photos, I think I’ll try the same.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
It is shamefull that this much dust can get inside a dust/water resistance device.

anyways, I have exactly the same problem, I can see the dust just by looking at it. Faceid works perfect indoor, perfect in shady/dark outdoor setting, and almost impossible to get it to work when outside on a shiny day.

I have a 3 y/o Iphone XS, without any repair history. I’ve just got out of Apple Store 2 mins ago. They said they’d either need to change the screen (around 360€), or change the phone (around 650€). I said, I understand that my device is out of warranty, but it is also apparent that the cause is not misuse, and the seals of the phone failed to keep the dust out, why do I have to pay such a high cost? They said they understand my reasoning but there’s nothing they can do because warranty period is over.
Frustrated as hell.

Thanks for sharing the photos, I think I’ll try the same.
Yes im wondering what apples aim is. Money of course but with billions on the account it will get boring.

They do a lot of green washing.
and fail to offer service which was for me 10min of work.

vibhu.gurjar

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2022

View attachment 1750300

View attachment 1750301

View attachment 1750303

View attachment 1750302
Bro same prblem with me . My phone camera doing great but having some dust particles in it face id works very well at night or in room but in light it doesn’t work please tell me what to do

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Try ifixit for opening instructions. And as said air to blow the dust out. Cotton sticks (Q-tip we call them here) can help.
No liquids

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.