Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
My father passed away on early Monday morning. He had an iPhone XS MAX. Same as my mom. Might trade in the phone not sure if we will keep it. But they to turn of find my friends and a few other things might require Face ID. Or I keep it and use it even though I have an lg velvet. But I cannot do Face ID. So I will factory reset. But do you have to verify with Face ID before factory reset.

The problem is he is dead and we cremated the body. So can't do Face ID anymore. So can we bypass the Face ID somehow. It still asks for passcode when opening the phone or installing apps. Might work. Or does Face ID be needed for certain things that you cannot bypass with the code.

Thanks for the help. Dealing with so much right now. Really appreciate any input.

Ifreak1017

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2020
So sorry for your loss.

You’ll need a Mac, and you will have to do a full hard reset and system wipe.

Reactions: aenflex

BigBlur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2021
Sorry for your loss. There's really no way around Face ID, unless he has an identical twin. You can turn off Face ID if you know the passcode. There's nothing that requires Face ID, everything can be done/bypassed with the passcode.

If you don't know the passcode, then you will need to wipe the device with a Mac or PC as mentioned in the previous post. It may still be activation locked, so you will need to know his Apple ID/password as well in order to be able to set it up again (or to trade in/sell).

Last edited:

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Thanks, I know all the passwords. So I am good to go I guess.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
OK, I reset Face ID and changed it to my face. Now I am good to go thanks.

jaymc

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Port Orchard, WA
Need to set up a Legacy Contact while you are still alive:

• Open Settings and tap your name.
  • Go to Password & Security > Legacy Contact.
  • Tap Add Legacy Contact. You may have to use Face ID, Touch ID, or your passcode to authenticate.
  • If you're in a Family Sharing group, you can choose a group member. Or you can tap Choose Someone Else to add someone from your Contacts.
  • Select the person from your Contacts. Tap Continue.
  • You’ll be asked how you want to share your access key. Select Print Access Key or Send Access Key.
  • If you choose to send the key digitally, Apple will create a message letting your contact know you’ve added them as your legacy contact. Tap Send.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.