Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhantomStar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Does iOS 14 allow the ability to require Face ID authentication when opening the iOS Mail App?

I've looked in the settings (Face ID->Other Apps) but don't see the option to enable Face ID for the built in Apple Mail App.

I'm able to enable Face ID for iOS Outlook along with other third party apps but find it odd Apple didn't enable Face ID for their own Mail App? Unless I'm looking at the wrong place.

Also, is it possible to enable Face ID for iMessages as well?

Common scenario I have is lending my phone to a friend to make a call and don't want him to browse my email or messages.

Is it possible to enable Face ID/Touch ID on these built in Apple Apps?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
No. It's not possible. You could dial for him, lock the phone, and hand it to him. Or dial with Siri and hand him the phone.

PhantomStar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
That's unfortunate, Apple should incorporate this security feature for their own apps.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I'm sure you could limit access to specific apps with the child protective features. Otherwise I just don't see a reason to add identify verification to apps.

Reactions: d.o.p.

PhantomStar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Well there are some reasons I could think of such as financial apps (i.e. banking, credit cards, paypal, venmo). However, I also like to have that option from a privacy standpoint as well. Another example is lending my iPad with the same set of apps to a family member or friend.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
What would be nice is if you could set up a guest account on the iPad or iPhone that would limit access to whatever you deem appropriate and nothing sensitive or a security risk..

PhantomStar

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Yea, that would be a possibility if I could log off/log in to a guest account. However, I don't think that feature exists yet?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Well there are some reasons I could think of such as financial apps (i.e. banking, credit cards, paypal, venmo). However, I also like to have that option from a privacy standpoint as well. Another example is lending my iPad with the same set of apps to a family member or friend.
Yes. You're right. I wasn't thinking along those lines. But every financial app I have already requires verification for sign-in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.