Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MarkX

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 10, 2015
Fochabers, Scotland
I just purchased my wife an iPhone X for her birthday and for the most part she’s delighted.

She set up Face ID yesterday when she got the phone and all has been well - until today. Face ID wouldn’t recognise her face and kept asking for her passcode. She reset Face ID and tried to set it up again but it kept saying Face ID unavailable at this time try again later.

The only way round it was to do a hard reset which allowed her to set it up again.

She’s had to do that 3 times in 5 hours.

Any ideas or is it a faulty unit?

My Face ID has never had this issue.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Mine neither, maybe bad sensors. Mine works 90-95% of the time. Better than Touch ID on my 6s Plus.

Reactions: MarkX

gahig ulo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2017
riverside california
I just purchased my wife an iPhone X for her birthday and for the most part she’s delighted.

She set up Face ID yesterday when she got the phone and all has been well - until today. Face ID wouldn’t recognise her face and kept asking for her passcode. She reset Face ID and tried to set it up again but it kept saying Face ID unavailable at this time try again later.

The only way round it was to do a hard reset which allowed her to set it up again.

She’s had to do that 3 times in 5 hours.

Any ideas or is it a faulty unit?

My Face ID has never had this issue.
how many wifes do you have?just kidding!i would bring it to apple and get it replace this is not normal

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I’d try another unit

I think there’s variance in FaceID effectiveness between units

Especially if you’ve already troubleshooted which ya have

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.