Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
Hi, I've buyed totally crushed iPhone 11.

The Face ID is not working, but when I try to set-up him, the camera works fine a few seconds but without the "Green lines" and after some seconds I've got "Face ID is Not Available"

I'm hoping that the Face ID back to work in the moment that i replace the display, what can you say about is there any chance to replace the display without the Face ID and it will back to work?

P.S
Someone told me that the chance it will be fixed by replace the display is 50/50

Please let me some good hoping ?
20210121_005317.jpg

20210121_005514.jpg

Last edited:

BeatCrazy

macrumors 603
Jul 20, 2011
If the faceID module is damaged (likely), I think Apple has to swap it out and reprogram it to match with the A13 chip.

TheShow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
If the faceID module is damaged (likely), I think Apple has to swap it out and reprogram it to match with the A13 chip.
No, I think you wrong.
That someone will fix me if I'm wrong, but I think it's just buying the Face ID sensor from someone who get down from another iPhone 11, replacing it and that's all.(?)

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
No, I think you wrong.
That someone will fix me if I'm wrong, but I think it's just buying the Face ID sensor from someone who get down from another iPhone 11, replacing it and that's all.(?)
The Face ID component has to match the logic board on your phone. You can't just swap Face ID component from one phone and put it in another phone.

Last edited:

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
really?
Thank you for this information.

Yep. There are plenty of Rossmann rants on these kinds of things. It's also a topic of debate within the Right To Repair movement. Specifically with a security sensor system like TouchID or FaceID I can see the argument to some extend to avoid situations with a modified sensor that sends a preprogrammed signal all the time, so when the user re-registers their face it would actually unlock on any signal. And it binds the cryptography to the key signatures generated by the hardware of the Secure Enclave. At the same time however it is partially a nuisance on the repair front that could be avoided without a significant dip in security by using other tricks instead. - That's for the security sensors specifically. Other tricks Apple have pulled to fight repair have been just indefensible.

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
Echoing the words above, there's not much of an option on these newer iPhones as to whether to have it repaired by Apple or non-AASP repair. Apple is the only one that can recreate the link between the parts. Same thing went for the Touch ID in later home-button iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.