Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I merely said that it's definitely too early to speculate on what the 2018 iPhone will be like.

A direct rebuttal of what you wrote.

Why do people like you insist on taking things out of context. If you were paying attention to the original comment I had replied to you would understand.

This is what the person said.

“No Touch ID = no buy. Went from 7+ to 8+. At least I have most of the features iPhone X would have. I think X will only have a better front camera, screen and "ani-emojis" over the 8+. Those I can live.

I'll wait for Xs.”

So I replied...

“So what do you think the “Xs” will have that the X doesn’t have that will make it worthy of an upgrade over the X?”

He says he would not buy an iPhone without Touch ID and then proceeded to say he will wait for the next iteration of the iPhone X as if Touch ID would be brought back in a new type of iPhone that uses facial recognition over Touch ID. Hence the reason I asked what he thought the Xs would have that would make it a worthy upgrade over the X.

Please pay attention to the entire conversation. Its annoying when people respond to a reply and did not read or understand what the original reply was to.

Reactions: AnthonyG6

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Honestly, the best setup would be facial recognition with the fingerprint ID sensor on the rear like on many Android phones - or built into the display, if that ever sees the light of day.

Reactions: Sunnyday2017

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
If Apple ever re-introduced Touch ID in the future to a phone that has Face ID, then I think there will be features that can only be unlocked using Face ID or a combination of both? That would be cool but until then (if it ever happens) I think I can adapt to Face ID; it's not like we have any other choice if we want the new flagship iPhone.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
If Apple ever re-introduced Touch ID in the future to a phone that has Face ID, then I think there will be features that can only be unlocked using Face ID or a combination of both? That would be cool but until then (if it ever happens) I think I can adapt to Face ID; it's not like we have any other choice if we want the new flagship iPhone.

I doubt they will ever bring back Touch ID. As Face ID gets better and better (faster), there will be no reason to put time and money into developing Touch ID under the screen. It would definitely be a step back requiring user contact for biometric authorization.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
I get the impression that is works at various angles, and you don't have to pick the phone up and point it at your face. They demo'd someone doing this out of a swimming pool. I would wait until reviews drop next month, I really don't think Apple would release it if it was as terrible as you make it out to be.

This is my impression of things as well with the 3d mapping. This to my understanding will work MUCH differently than the Samsung Iris scanning and facial recognition which from my limited experience did not feel all that technologically advanced or secure.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I have an iPhone X now and Face ID is pretty good. Less than one day in but it’s exceeding expectations.

Reactions: DiveKitty

ke-iron

macrumors 68000
Aug 14, 2014
I have an iPhone X now and Face ID is pretty good. Less than one day in but it’s exceeding expectations.

You are indeed correct. Face ID has exceeded all my expectations. The thing unlocked while I was putting food in my mouth! I wasn’t thinking about it until it unlocked and I caught myself, did it just do that. I’m chewing, mouth full, and hand in my face putting more food in mouth. It unlocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: boltjames

DiveKitty

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2017

I read your first post, then skipped to the last page, and had to like!

I love Face ID. I do not want to go back. It just has got better and better as I realize how little I have to even think about it (especially within apps, for Apple Pay, etc).

bmdub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Let me first say that I think Face ID will function as advertised. That's not my issue. My issue is that there are specific situations where the phone isn't in my hand and getting my face where it needs to be simply won't work. Some examples:

I'm in meetings all day and frequently need to quietly check an email or two; Face ID would require me to pick up the phone to look at it or lean forward in an obvious manner, tipping off the person speaking.

I commute by car each day and use a vent mount to hold my phone; Face ID would require me to do neck gymnastics to get my eyes oriented over the center console to unlock it if I'm getting gas or am parked in a queue to pick up my son after school.

At my desk, my iPhone lies flat about 8 inches away from the keyboard. To wake the phone I merely press the home button. To unlock it I keep pressing. With Face ID to wake the phone lying flat on the desk I need to use my whole hand to grip the phone and hit the side button with my thumb. If I then want to unlock it I need to pick it up and point it at my face.

I have a beach house and am full of sticky sunscreen and sand as I sit in my chair with my phone lying flat on the armrest. With Touch ID all I have to do is keep my pointer finger clean to unlock the phone. With Face ID I have to grab the entire phone with my dirty hand, get the case full of oily chemicals, and get the case full of gritty sand merely to check for a text message notification which I tend to do every 15 minutes.

I use Apple Pay constantly and the new behavior adds steps and complexity. With Touch ID all I have to do is slide my hand in my pocket, pull it out by the thumb, and before the phone hits the wireless terminal it's already unlocked and authenticated. With Face ID it takes twice as long to double click buttons, raise the phone to my face, etc.

I'm not afraid of the technology. I believe it will function as advertised. What I'm saying is that there is nothing convenient about Face ID except almost exclusively for situations where the phone is in your hand. And for my usecases at least 50% of the time my phone is not in my hand when I need to unlock it. So it will prevent me from buying a X. Which is a shame because I like the new screen and I like the new gestures and am bored of the 6/7/8 form factor.

TL;DR...I was worried about it as well, but it has worked just fine for me. Even with the phone on my desk at work, I simply tilt the phone up a few degrees and it unlocks. Sometimes when picking the phone up, it's already opened by the time I get to position to be used.

Picapau21

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2015
Mostly valid, some responses below but overall i am finding Face ID more useable than touch ID.

Let me first say that I think Face ID will function as advertised. That's not my issue. My issue is that there are specific situations where the phone isn't in my hand and getting my face where it needs to be simply won't work. Some examples:

I'm in meetings all day and frequently need to quietly check an email or two; Face ID would require me to pick up the phone to look at it or lean forward in an obvious manner, tipping off the person speaking.

Turn off attention aware and it will work at a slight angle

I commute by car each day and use a vent mount to hold my phone; Face ID would require me to do neck gymnastics to get my eyes oriented over the center console to unlock it if I'm getting gas or am parked in a queue to pick up my son after school.

Angle your phone holder slightly towards your face.

At my desk, my iPhone lies flat about 8 inches away from the keyboard. To wake the phone I merely press the home button. To unlock it I keep pressing. With Face ID to wake the phone lying flat on the desk I need to use my whole hand to grip the phone and hit the side button with my thumb. If I then want to unlock it I need to pick it up and point it at my face.

No you dont. Just tap to wake by touching the screen and then swipe up. pretty easy.

I have a beach house and am full of sticky sunscreen and sand as I sit in my chair with my phone lying flat on the armrest. With Touch ID all I have to do is keep my pointer finger clean to unlock the phone. With Face ID I have to grab the entire phone with my dirty hand, get the case full of oily chemicals, and get the case full of gritty sand merely to check for a text message notification which I tend to do every 15 minutes.

Oily or wet hands tend to fail with touch ID quite often.

I use Apple Pay constantly and the new behavior adds steps and complexity. With Touch ID all I have to do is slide my hand in my pocket, pull it out by the thumb, and before the phone hits the wireless terminal it's already unlocked and authenticated. With Face ID it takes twice as long to double click buttons, raise the phone to my face, etc.

Apple pay is much easier with face ID as the payment is effectively pre-approved before you get to the counter and doesn't tend to fail as often as touch ID and is actually faster at the terminal.

Last edited:

AnthonyG6

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2017
ApplePay has become much easier with FaceID. Before with TouchID it used to fail a few times before registering when placed next to the reader, maybe due to the awkward angle? Now it never fails and you can adjust your grip to hold it more comfortably when placing the phone near the reader.

Looney01

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2015
I actually cannot stress enough how impressed I am with FaceID. It’s by no means perfect and it will certainly get better in time, but for a first gen tech it really is amazing. Gone are the days when TouchID fails for me due to sweating hands. No matter how good TouchID is, for me 90% of the time it failed for me due to sweaty fingers. With FaceID I don’t even have to think or worry about it, it’s automatically. Sure it may not be as fast as TouchID at unlock due to that stupid animation when unlocking which adds to the time, but the additional 1 second it takes over TouchID is certainly worth the trade off. Perhaps not everyone is like me but this is a winner in my books. Every app that supports TouchID works with FaceID. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
I guess the only negative is you need to keep that Egg on Face for it to keep working? ;)

Yes, I was wrong. Face ID is incredible. It’s the single biggest convenience in iPhone security since Swipe To Unlock in 2007.

You no longer have to even think about security. No passcodes, no fingerprints, it just unlocks. It is the gamechanger Apple said it was. Totally impressed.

Reactions: Ralfi and DiveKitty

largefarrva

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2012
Apple was right....as people used Face ID more we will see that it's better in every way above Touch ID. I too, was skeptical before I got my X this past Monday but once again I was proven wrong. I do not want to go back to having a home button or Touch ID again. The X is the perfect phone for me.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
For me, it's iOS.

Inferior toggle customizations
Inferior notifications system
Inferior Dasher app menu
Inferior SwiftKey
Inferior as a media player
File Manager > iTunes

I still like iOS's fluidity. My SE is the one I use more during the day than my G5 which is used to tether. I just love the size and it's amazing it is only 113g when the 6s became a little more heavier than the 6.

I can wait and wait. Even the iPhone in 2019 or 2020. Honestly, I haven't really found a smartphone I really like this year. Better off getting a Nintendo Switch or Xbox One S on Black Friday. I really don't like glass rears either. Double the smudge factor since it's on both sides.

Matte finish for life. Black matte still attracts smudges but matte doesn't feel sticky to my fingers like glass sandwiches do. And I'm not using a case when the X is heavy as is at 174g. The 4th heaviest iPhone.

X's hardware flaws -
Can't use in cold weather
Weak front camera
Not the best in rear camera
Not the best in battery life
Slow charging
Only 3 GB RAM when iPad Pro has 4 Lightning Connector
Bye bye Touch ID and headphone jack
Hello, dongles
Heavier than the 6 Plus
No landscape mode for homescreen
$200 more than 8 Plus just to be shorter, narrower, gesture controls, Face ID, and Animoji
Notch
Ugly camera hump
Limited color options that will expand with its successors
Glass rears that is expensive to repair

Just keep it real. It's like the first iPhone where it has flaws and not the best at anything. I remember the initial excitement back in 2010 and 2014 here in this forum when the 4 & 6 Plus were released. By 2016, people complained about the 7 looking so much like the 6. That's what I expect by 2019.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
For me, it's iOS.

Inferior toggle customizations
Inferior notifications system
Inferior Dasher app menu
Inferior SwiftKey
Inferior as a media player
File Manager > iTunes

I still like iOS's fluidity. My SE is the one I use more during the day than my G5 which is used to tether. I just love the size and it's amazing it is only 113g when the 6s became a little more heavier than the 6.

I can wait and wait. Even the iPhone in 2019 or 2020. Honestly, I haven't really found a smartphone I really like this year. Better off getting a Nintendo Switch or Xbox One S on Black Friday. I really don't like glass rears either. Double the smudge factor since it's on both sides.

Matte finish for life. Black matte still attracts smudges but matte doesn't feel sticky to my fingers like glass sandwiches do. And I'm not using a case when the X is heavy as is at 174g. The 4th heaviest iPhone.

X's hardware flaws -
Can't use in cold weather
Weak front camera
Not the best in rear camera
Not the best in battery life
Slow charging
Only 3 GB RAM when iPad Pro has 4 Lightning Connector
Bye bye Touch ID and headphone jack
Hello, dongles
Heavier than the 6 Plus
No landscape mode for homescreen
$200 more than 8 Plus just to be shorter, narrower, gesture controls, Face ID, and Animoji
Notch
Ugly camera hump
Limited color options that will expand with its successors
Glass rears that is expensive to repair

Just keep it real. It's like the first iPhone where it has flaws and not the best at anything. I remember the initial excitement back in 2010 and 2014 here in this forum when the 4 & 6 Plus were released. By 2016, people complained about the 7 looking so much like the 6. That's what I expect by 2019.
One thing I agree with all phones have flaws. And you get to define your own list, since it’s your value system.

Your list is mish-mosh of items that I can’t relate to nor do I care about. And I’m getting an ipx for the holiday season because imo it’s the best phone out there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yes, I was wrong. Face ID is incredible. It’s the single biggest convenience in iPhone security since Swipe To Unlock in 2007.

You no longer have to even think about security. No passcodes, no fingerprints, it just unlocks. It is the gamechanger Apple said it was. Totally impressed.

Agreed, I'm enjoying FaceID and find it incredibly useful. Take 1Password, all I have to do is open the app and look at the phone, it opens right up. I think we're only scratching the surface of the potential of FaceID

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
So the OP is wrong about the "require you to do neck exercises to look directly at the screen over the screen". There is a setting that makes it so you don't have to be looking directly at the phone, which makes life a whole lot easier at the expense of 'less security'. It makes the process a lot easier though, haven't had issues with FaceID.

Reactions: ke-iron

andrewface

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
Face ID is amazing and I don't miss finger print ID even a little bit. I don't get how you can make this complaint without actually trying the phone.

Reactions: DiveKitty

MisterGrinch

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2015
I sometimes share an iPhone with my wife and the fact that the phone only stores one face is really problematic. Every time I want to use the phone I have to type a password which is super inconvenient. Also can’t use Apple Pay. At least with fingerprint we could program in many finger and thumbprints. Apple please allow us to add a second face.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.