Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Barrett85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2015
I had iOS 17 on my iPhone 14 pro. Face ID would work sometimes but most of the time it wouldn’t work for me. Got the new iPhone 15 pro on Friday which of course is also running iOS 17. Worked perfectly for the first day, and then today it stopped working again. Is it iOS 17, or could something in my backup possibly be causing this problem? I would really hate to have to setup phone as new, but not having Face ID consistently working is such a pain. Wondering if anyone else is having this same issue?

Ariel32

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
I had iOS 17 on my iPhone 14 pro. Face ID would work sometimes but most of the time it wouldn’t work for me. Got the new iPhone 15 pro on Friday which of course is also running iOS 17. Worked perfectly for the first day, and then today it stopped working again. Is it iOS 17, or could something in my backup possibly be causing this problem? I would really hate to have to setup phone as new, but not having Face ID consistently working is such a pain. Wondering if anyone else is having this same issue?
I am having the same issue! Well, it works most of the time, but not always. Then on Day 3 I realized the problem must be the front facing camera. I needed to take a selfie last night (I am generally not a selfie person). I couldn't make it work. There is an 18 sec lag between me pressing the shutter button and image being taken. I have restarted the phone, the issue went away for a minute, and then after a bit, back to it. I spent an hour last night talking to Apple support. They will be calling me back today, advanced support to figure this out.
It's not lighting conditions, as my other 3 year-old phone took a photo in the same condition no problem. In fact, I have never had an issue with a front-facing camera before.
I think I will be asking to replace my phone. Something must be wrong with it.

Barrett85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 9, 2015
I am having the same issue! Well, it works most of the time, but not always. Then on Day 3 I realized the problem must be the front facing camera. I needed to take a selfie last night (I am generally not a selfie person). I couldn't make it work. There is an 18 sec lag between me pressing the shutter button and image being taken. I have restarted the phone, the issue went away for a minute, and then after a bit, back to it. I spent an hour last night talking to Apple support. They will be calling me back today, advanced support to figure this out.
It's not lighting conditions, as my other 3 year-old phone took a photo in the same condition no problem. In fact, I have never had an issue with a front-facing camera before.
I think I will be asking to replace my phone. Something must be wrong with it.
That is very strange. My front facing camera works fine. Just my Face ID. Will be interesting to hear what apple support tells you to do!

Macrosey

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2024
I have a somewhat similar issue with 13 Pro Max running 17.3. Face ID will be working just fine and then it just stops. Can't open my phone and I have to enter passcode. The strange thing is that while it will not open my phone, I can use it to open my bank app or even do an Apple Pay transaction. The other weird thing is if you try to reset your face ID, sometimes just the frame pops up and the continual message to reset your face in the frame. Then a while later, it functions correctly. Comes and goes randomly. Very frustrating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.