Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Beginning today, Face ID has been working for me while wearing a mask. It never did before, but today I’ve been able to unlock the phone 85% of the time while wearing a mask.

I’m currently running iOS 13.5 on an iPhone 11 Pro, and all iOS 13.5 is *supposed* to do is detect that the user has a mask on and immediately bring up the passcode screen. Face ID is not supposed to unlock the phone when the user is wearing a mask.

I’m not complaining, though. It’s great. Anyone else experiencing this? Perhaps Face ID has learned what I look like with the mask on?

Reactions: Nightfury326

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Had this happen during the 13.5 beta period. Slightly worried that Face ID is "learning" to recognize only half of my face + a mask, which makes unlocking less secure.

Ryankontos

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Had this happen during the 13.5 beta period. Slightly worried that Face ID is "learning" to recognize only half of my face + a mask, which makes unlocking less secure.
Eh, sure it might be less secure in theory, but in practise there's really nothing to worry about.

It's not like there's someone with half of your face trying to get into your phone.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Put on a fresh mask today and it no longer works. Ah well.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
After wearing the “fresh” mask for a few hours, my phone began unlocking *with* the mask on about 80% of the time.

Crazy.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I’m having the opposite issue. The new face mask detection doesn’t seem to do anything for me. If I hold my phone up I still have to try swiping once before the keypad pops up. Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t notice any difference.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018
After wearing the “fresh” mask for a few hours, my phone began unlocking *with* the mask on about 80% of the time.

Crazy.

What kind of mask are you wearing? If it's thinner material it might be starting to conform to the contours of your face.

I generally wear a thicker mask that loops over my ears and covers my nose, mouth, and partial cheeks. FaceID never works with this mask on. I just put on one of the masks that sits around the neck like a scarf and pulls up over the bottom half of my face and FaceID worked. I looked in the mirror and my facial features were clearly defined due to the thinner, stretchier nature of the material.

chris4565

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2018
I’m having the opposite issue. The new face mask detection doesn’t seem to do anything for me. If I hold my phone up I still have to try swiping once before the keypad pops up. Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t notice any difference.
I think that's how it is supposed to be. Afaik the only difference is that prior to the update it was like this:
- Swipe up --> FaceID tries to recognize your face (approx. 1-2 seconds) --> Code entry shows up

And now it's like this:
- Swipe up --> Code entry immediately shows up because iOS recognizes that you're wearing a mask

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I tried a few test runs with a mask on and determined that the defining feature was my nose. When my nose was exposed, FaceID worked. When it was covered, FaceID did not work.

PeterRollback

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2015
Arizona
This has been happening to me 85% of the times as well, but with many various masks. It’s incredible really.

I’ve also made sure that my nose is fully covered and it still unlocks with different style masks.
I even restored and set up as new and the issue persists.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
This has been happening to me 85% of the times as well, but with many various masks. It’s incredible really.

I’ve also made sure that my nose is fully covered and it still unlocks with different style masks.
I even restored and set up as new and the issue persists.
Curious If you have some very compelling facial features above your nose that FaceID is confident it is you. Deep eye sockets? Protruding skull formations above the eyes. (My skull formation directly above my eyebrows protrude out pretty good). Cheek bone formation?

Reactions: PeterRollback

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
Itinj24 : But unlocking with exposed nose is possible with 13.5 and later ? Before that is it not possible to unlock with mask under nose ?

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Itinj24 : But unlocking with exposed nose is possible with 13.5 and later ? Before that is it not possible to unlock with mask under nose ?
I suppose it’s different for everyone. I tested a few times and it unlocked with nose exposed but didn’t with nose covered. I have a skinny point nose. It works on 3D imagery so I’m just assuming some compelling facial features might be the difference maker. I can’t remember what versions of iOS 13. It seemed to always be the case for me.

Last edited:

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
It happened to me today. iPhone 11 PRO Max. I was sitting at the bank waiting for my appointment (mask on). Sitting in a chair, head looking down to my iPhone which was between my legs. I started typing in 2 of the 6 numbers of my PIN and it unlocked! Sort of startled me, like WTF?!

I then locked my iPhone, and every single time I tried to use FaceID to unlock, it worked. Mind you, the mask clearly covers my nose and mouth and chin. It is fabric with a random pattern on it. I also tried a dark navy blue mask, not quite as bulky as the first, and after a failed attempt or two, it started working also!

I wonder if there is something to the latest iOS update that is allowing FaceID to learn a user with a mask on?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.