Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
I went to Aldi’s today and used Apple Pay to check out. I was wearing my Castleguard face mask, so I was ready to enter my passcode, as usual. To my surprise, however, Face ID recognized me even with the mask.

I thought that was a fluke, so when I got out to the parking lot, I tested by locking and unlocking the phone. To my surprise, Face ID worked each time.

Has anyone else noticed this? Did Apple enhance Face ID in the recent updates?

Reactions: Robbosan

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I went to Aldi’s today and used Apple Pay to check out. I was wearing my Castleguard face mask, so I was ready to enter my passcode, as usual. To my surprise, however, Face ID recognized me even with the mask.

I thought that was a fluke, so when I got out to the parking lot, I tested by locking and unlocking the phone. To my surprise, Face ID worked each time.

Has anyone else noticed this? Did Apple enhance Face ID in the recent updates?

Reactions: s2mike

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
It depends on how you were wearing a mask. I’ve unlocked my iPhone with mask before nd other times it does not work.
It's been at least a month since I went back to my 11PM, and it still has never unlocked with my mask on.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Face ID has never and still doesn't work for me with a mask.

Funny, I can see someone I haven't seen in months and I recognize them with a mask, yet my phone, that sees me EVERY DAY can't recognize me.

Reactions: DexBell

ShadowGuardian87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2020
Virginia
Face ID has never and still doesn't work for me with a mask.

Funny, I can see someone I haven't seen in months and I recognize them with a mask, yet my phone, that sees me EVERY DAY can't recognize me.

Right lol. But I think it's because it scans your whole face structure to determine if it's you ( not just your eyes).

Reactions: jbachandouris
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.