Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016
Anyone else having problems with Face ID on their new XS? It only works well about 50 % of the time. The other 50% its either slow, takes a good 5-6 seconds of moving my face around to open, or it doesn't work at all. Ive reset it and did my face scans a second time out in the daylight and that didn't help. This thing sucks, I want fingerprint ID back.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
Not at all. Mine is very fast. Pick it up, tap(I turn off raise to wake) and swipe and i'm in. If i'm in range it picks me up every time. And sometimes it still picks me up even at off angles on my desk.

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs

blwade

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2014
I've found it to work GREAT most of the time.. there are occasional times where it does seem to respond a little more slowly.

I also did have a problem where I would pick up my phone, it failed to read my face, I'd put in my pin and go on... but this happened 5 or 6 times and I ended up restarting my phone and doing face ID over again. I'm not sure why it started failing every time, but I haven't seen that occur again.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Mine works really well so far. I do prefer Touch ID for a lot of reasons but I can’t complain about the accuracy and speed on this phone so far.

I say “so far” because when I first got my X last winter it worked well, too, and then got pretty erratic.

AJAAY

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Anyone else having problems with Face ID on their new XS? It only works well about 50 % of the time. The other 50% its either slow, takes a good 5-6 seconds of moving my face around to open, or it doesn't work at all. Ive reset it and did my face scans a second time out in the daylight and that didn't help. This thing sucks, I want fingerprint ID back.
This has been my experience as well. My first scan was on launch day back at my home after leaving the Apple Store (evening time) lights weren't so bright. So couple days later, I re did the scan at the office at work while under two bright florescent lights, and still have the same results. Sometimes more often than not, I'll get the screen/phone vibrate bouncy thing letting me know Face ID didn't work, while I'm holding the phone directly at my face.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Never had issues with Face ID besides some angles in which it wouldn't recognize my face. If you look at the phone directly it takes about 1 second to recognize your face which is pretty fast and consistent 99% of the time, for me.

IFortWorth

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
Very fast and consistent for me (Xs). I came from and 8+. Mostly, by the time my thumb is in position to swipe up face ID has already unlocked the phone.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I say “so far” because when I first got my X last winter it worked well, too, and then got pretty erratic.
Definitely experienced the same behavior as well, which is odd, because ‘machine learning’ was supposed to make it better over time, not worse. We will see. I’m taking a long-term review approach with this advanced version of Face ID.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Definitely experienced the same behavior as well, which is odd, because ‘machine learning’ was supposed to make it better over time, not worse. We will see. I’m taking a long-term review approach with this advanced version of Face ID.
Well that phenomenon happened to me with Touch ID on phones up to and including iPhone 7 Plus. The authentication seemed to just fade out and needed to be redone for some reason. I’m mystified.

OBirder

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2015
Works smooth and much better than anticipated.
In the week I have it, i got converted and don’t want to go back to TouchID.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Return your XS and get an iPhone 8 then.
That doesn't help the OP.

One way to improve Face ID when you first set it up is to not hold the phone directly in front of your face at head height - lower it to your most comfortable position (say around stomach/chest height) where you'd typically want to unlock the phone as you take it out of your pocket or lift it off a table.

Have the face registration look at your face from below, if that's where you'll normally glance at it to unlock it.

Over time, Face ID will also improve itself, as it learns your face, but having the initial registration set up from a point of view you'll most commonly use to unlock it should help.

It's still won't be perfect as it's continually being refined, but I wouldn't give up on the phone too soon without giving Face ID as best a chance you can give it.

Reactions: DexBell

DexBell

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 23, 2016

One way to improve Face ID when you first set it up is to not hold the phone directly in front of your face at head height - lower it to your most comfortable position (say around stomach/chest height) where you'd typically want to unlock the phone as you take it out of your pocket or lift it off a table.

Have the face registration look at your face from below, if that's where you'll normally glance at it to unlock it.

Over time, Face ID will also improve itself, as it learns your face, but having the initial registration set up from a point of view you'll most commonly use to unlock it should help.

It's still won't be perfect as it's continually being refined, but I wouldn't give up on the phone too soon without giving Face ID as best a chance you can give it.

Thanks. I think this may be the issue. When you set it up, you automatically hold the phone up at the same height as your face out of instinct. Usually when you unlock it, you arent holding your phone up like that. Im going to try again holding it lower. Thanks

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I have complained a lot about Apple abandoning Touch ID in favor of Face ID, professed it's inferiority without ever using it. Now that I've been using it for a week I can say my Face ID experience, which has been exclusively with the Max, has been astonishingly flawless.

Honestly it's so fast I don't even notice it. Apps fire it up and authenticate so fast I just barely catch the animation. When I lift to wake I can swipe up without any concern that Face ID will already have done its thing.

My buddy has a Max too, and he was at least as skeptical as I was about Face ID. Now we sit around and ask eachother what we were so worried about.

Reactions: decypher44

decypher44

macrumors 68000
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Mine is working perfectly so far. I’m amazed. I was worried about leaving the Touch ID, but I’m pleasantly surprised how well and fast it works!

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
I have complained a lot about Apple abandoning Touch ID in favor of Face ID, professed it's inferiority without ever using it

This is the thing, & it's great you're able to admit you got it wrong (kudos), but so many people are worried about change & often use forums like this to vent sans-educated opinion & then others who feel the same (but who also haven't used the device) jump in for the sake of it...it ends up making the place an illinformed mess - not great for those who are after measured & tried viewpoints.

There's a lot of noise on MacRumours & it's louder by those who are desperate to have their opinions heard. Up to others to recognise it & ignore it.

Reactions: adamhenry

mattguy10

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2010

Based on the last sentence of the OPs post, I jumped the gun and took the post as another “I hate Face ID” thread instead of someone just being frustrated with it. My bad OP! Give it time to shine and you’ll forget all about Touch ID!

Reactions: Ralfi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.