Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themaestro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Ireland
Face ID stopped working on my iPhone X. I never had to reset it before as it pretty much worked perfectly always. When I try to reset and place my face in the square it keeps saying 'lift phone lower' etc

Reactions: Democracy Network

Lsmachado

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2018
Texas
Face ID stopped working on my iPhone X. I never had to reset it before as it pretty much worked perfectly always. When I try to reset and place my face in the square it keeps saying 'lift phone lower' etc
Have you updated to the latest version of iOS? Some people have had the same problem and it was fixed after updating their device. You might check to see if an update is available. Then you can reset Face ID. I hope this helps.

EDIT: Also found this in the Apple Support forums:

Try this.
  1. Go to settings and turn on assistive touch.
  2. Go back to main settings window and click on General, scroll all the way down and click Shut Down.
  3. Open up assistive touch by tapping on the circle, once it’s up press on hold on the circle until you see your screen flicker which means that you have cleared your cache.
  4. Perform a hard boot by pressing up, down volume and on button simultaneously.
  5. Once you completed all the steps you should be able to reset your Face ID.
This is what you will have on your screen once you got back on the General setting and had tapped on the assistive touch button. Then press and hold on the button above “HOME”:
2D966515-78A1-4C14-B921-C466EED7626D.jpeg

Last edited:

themaestro

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Ireland
Have you updated to the latest version of iOS? Some people have had the same problem and it was fixed after updating their device. You might check to see if an update is available. Then you can reset Face ID. I hope this helps.

EDIT: Also found this in the Apple Support forums:

Try this.
  1. Go to settings and turn on assistive touch.
  2. Go back to main settings window and click on General, scroll all the way down and click Shut Down.
  3. Open up assistive touch by tapping on the circle, once it’s up press on hold on the circle until you see your screen flicker which means that you have cleared your cache.
  4. Perform a hard boot by pressing up, down volume and on button simultaneously.
  5. Once you completed all the steps you should be able to reset your Face ID.
This is what you will have on your screen once you got back on the General setting and had tapped on the assistive touch button. Then press and hold on the button above “HOME”:
View attachment 949199

I was on 13.6, updated to 13.7 and now fine. Thank you very much for your help.

Reactions: Lsmachado
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.