Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
Is anyone else experiencing this?
For the last couple of days, my iPhone XS Max is unlocking every single time without issue while I have my face mask on.
I never did that face mask hack so Face ID has never worked for me up till now.
Attention setting is on.

I’m super happy about this, but interestingly my work colleague’s iPhone 11’s Face ID is not working with his mask on.

Is it just an anomaly on my phone or are some of you seeing the same thing?

thexash

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2020
My 11 Pro Max mostly works when I have a mask on (9 times out of 10), it doesnt work at all for my Wife on her 11...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
For the last couple of days, my iPhone XS Max is unlocking every single time without issue while I have my face mask on.
Attention setting is on.

I’m super happy about this, but interestingly my work colleague’s iPhone 11’s Face ID is not working with his mask on.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Attention setting is on.

That may be possible, and here's why:

You recorded your face some time ago. You tried to unlock with FaceID, didn't work, then you unlock with the passcode. Your phone now assumes that it was indeed your face (because you are the only one who knows the passcode), and adjusts the stored image to be closer to your image with mask. Repeat a few times, and it will recognise you. (Makes totally sense in real life situations, where you could grow a beard or get rid of it, or you have a facial injury that heals over time).

However, FaceID has two purposes: Recognise you, and don't recognise anyone else. At this point it is more likely that it will recognise other people wearing a mask because it had to wipe out a lot of details of your face. So you can go on with a certain amount of risk, or record your face without mask freshly and lose the convenience.

(BTW. When FaceID was released, some pranksters used this to demonstrate that FaceID recognised a mask of one of their faces. That only works if you have the passcode and can "train" FaceID to recognise that mask. Without passcode, no chance).

Last edited:

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
You recorded your face some time ago. You tried to unlock with FaceID, didn't work, then you unlock with the passcode. Your phone now assumes that it was indeed your face (because you are the only one who knows the passcode), and adjusts the stored image to be closer to your image with mask. Repeat a few times, and it will recognise you.

If this is correct it seems very insecure to me. Several people know my phone passcode; how can it make the assumption that it's me entering the passcode. Sounds very dangerous, which is why I'm sceptical that it's true. Unless it is still doing a partial match with just the eyes.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 25, 2003
If this is correct it seems very insecure to me. Several people know my phone passcode; how can it make the assumption that it's me entering the passcode. Sounds very dangerous, which is why I'm sceptical that it's true. Unless it is still doing a partial match with just the eyes.
Yeah I also find that a little weird. I’ve never heard Apple say that there was an AI adapting at each unlocking process after a passcode’s been inputted.

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
Along the same lines, I have a pair of sun glasses (aviators) that face id refuses to open with. I have 3 or 4 other sets some aviators and they all work fine. The weirdest thing. These particular glasses are my step farther's who passed away almost 2 years ago and I just started wearing them. I've tried to re reg ect, no luck. Crazy Town and I might be the mayor.

Reactions: Blueline29

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Along the same lines, I have a pair of sun glasses (aviators) that face id refuses to open with. I have 3 or 4 other sets some aviators and they all work fine. The weirdest thing. These particular glasses are my step farther's who passed away almost 2 years ago and I just started wearing them. I've tried to re reg ect, no luck. Crazy Town and I might be the mayor.

In my experience, polarized lenses work with FaceID while others don’t. Could that be your situation?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have noticed that Face ID occasionally works when I'm running errands with my mask on. I'd say more times than not, I have to enter the passcode, but there are times where my phone is unlocked even with my mask on.

donawalt

Contributor
Sep 10, 2015
That may be possible, and here's why:

You recorded your face some time ago. You tried to unlock with FaceID, didn't work, then you unlock with the passcode. Your phone now assumes that it was indeed your face (because you are the only one who knows the passcode), and adjusts the stored image to be closer to your image with mask. Repeat a few times, and it will recognise you. (Makes totally sense in real life situations, where you could grow a beard or get rid of it, or you have a facial injury that heals over time).

While anything is possible, this is very unlikely. You cannot add a picture of yourself with a mask on, even though you have just entered your PIN to get access to that screen. AT least I can't - I have tried to pull the mask lower and lower, it keeps saying my face is obstructed.

My guess is the reason this is specifically prevented is because of the security concern you voiced @gnasher729, that it could easily be someone else with a mask on trying to get into a phone that is not theirs.

So the phone processes that there is an obstruction/mask on - it would really be illogical to authorize me via PIN and specifically prevent wearing a mask/obstruction there, yet let it happen in normal unlocking of the phone.

I have wondered if the reason some people see it work with their masks, is because their masks are more transparent/thinner and the scanner can sometimes "see" through it enough to validate the face.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Several people know my phone passcode
No one should know that...the passcode is in your mind, not even the law can force you in many countries to tell them the passcode...so if people knows your passcode, then, the rest is irrelevant, no matter is faceid, touchid,iris scan, heart scan, gene scan...anyone can take your phone put the pass, and go to the settings and change the faceID,touchID etc etc to their preference..so its user fault/decision

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

Depends on the lenses. If the are polarized and block infrared (the spectrum of light used for Face ID) then Face ID won't work. If not or at least the polarization doesn't block specifically the wavelength of infrared used by Face ID then it can see right through them as if you aren't even wearing glass.

Here is what the camera sees.

Polarized (decent brand)
IMG_1354.jpg

Polarized (knock off brand)
IMG_1355.jpg

The polarized reflects nearly all the infrared lights (12 light reflections). The knock off brand reflects some of the light but not all of it so my eye is illuminated for the camera under the glasses.

Turn off attention awareness setting might help with sunglasses with polarized lenses because it won't need to see your eyes themselves. Never tried it though...

pbonitati

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2015
Rhode Island
Depends on the lenses. If the are polarized and block infrared (the spectrum of light used for Face ID) then Face ID won't work. If not or at least the polarization doesn't block specifically the wavelength of infrared used by Face ID then it can see right through them as if you aren't even wearing glass.

Here is what the camera sees.

Polarized (decent brand)
View attachment 951030

Polarized (knock off brand)
View attachment 951031

The polarized reflects nearly all the infrared lights (12 light reflections). The knock off brand reflects some of the light but not all of it so my eye is illuminated for the camera under the glasses.

Turn off attention awareness setting might help with sunglasses with polarized lenses because it won't need to see your eyes themselves. Never tried it though...
Thanks for the tip! I never considered this at all. This has to be why. I'd really have to test it all out just for curiosity sake. I mean, I have a set of Oakleys, 3 or 4 different brands aviators, my normal glasses, some crap glasses because I forgot my real ones at home lol, all sorts of glasses and it just those.

Nigel Goodman

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2017
UK
Fair enough. But then you shouldn't complain about the system being insecure. Your personal habits are making it insecure for you. It's very secure for those who use it as it was designed to be used.

Well, changing the subject completely from my original comment still does not make it correct.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Nobody changed the subject. You were complaining that the system was insecure and dangerous in your particular case (i.e. when several other people know your passcode). I told you that your particular case goes against the way the system was designed to be used - the implication being that your critique was unfounded.
So I really don't see how I changed the subject at all, let alone 'completely'.

Last edited:

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Well, changing the subject completely from my original comment still does not make it correct.

He didn’t change the subject. You are using your phone in a way that is absolutely not acceptable according to Apple standards for security and goes against the whole idea of having a personal pin code on your device. Therefore you cannot moan about it being insecure etc. (Well of course you can, but you would be absolutely wrong in doing so).

Reactions: Vlad Soare

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
Attention setting is on.

Yes I noticed it about a week ago on my iPhone X. It unlocks perfectly now with my mask on as long as I'm not wearing my glasses. If I'm wearing my glasses it won't unlock. That's because I hardly wear my glasses out of the house where I need a mask.

I'm sure if I unlocked it enough times with my PIN with my mask/glasses on it would start to unlock.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
If only...

I'm required to wear a mask all day, five days a week since March and my phone has yet to learn my masked face. Sure would make my work days a little less tedious but fortunately my work issued phone is an 8 so it's not as bad as it could be.

Reactions: compwiz1202

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
My 11 Pro Max mostly works when I have a mask on (9 times out of 10), it doesnt work at all for my Wife on her 11...
Mine still doesn't work after weeks. Purposely switched back to my 11PM because several people were saying it eventually learned the mask appearance

nrvous1

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2019
San Antonio, TX
If only...

I'm required to wear a mask all day, five days a week since March and my phone has yet to learn my masked face. Sure would make my work days a little less tedious but fortunately my work issued phone is an 8 so it's not as bad as it could be.
Mine also won’t unlocked when wearing a mask. I wear a mask 5-days a week all day at work. I may need to give it more time, but before I switched to my se, my 11 pro didn’t recognize my face either with a mask on.

Edit: Just switched back to my 11 pro today.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.