Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CoreData

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 23, 2014
After some research in the Apple developer documentation, a potential privacy issue has come to my attention. An app only has to request user consent for accessing the device camera (once) in order to persistently track your face using the front (and the new True Depth) camera through Apple's AR Kit (https://developer.apple.com/augmented-reality/), a developer framework for creating augmented reality experiences.

Context

Using AR Kit, the app developer can very easily track your face geometry in real-time. This includes a detailled 3D mesh of your face topology (basically your facial features and expressions). Here is an app which demos this feature, so you can see how accurate the 3D mesh is (requires True Depth camera, i.e. iPhone X or above):

The framework also includes the capability of detecting your emotional response through facial expressions in terms of the movement of specific facial features (technical documentation with list of supported facial features here : https://developer.apple.com/documentation/arkit/arfaceanchor/blendshapelocation#topics

While the out-of-the-box expression detection is still fairly basic, there have been many advances in Facial Emotion Detection using Deep Learning (https://algorithmia.com/blog/introduction-to-emotion-recognition) and those methods would be relatively easy to apply due to the detailed 3D face mesh made available by AR Kit (which seems responsive enough to even detect micro-expressions).

The True Depth technology on iPhone X also enables accurate eye tracking. Demo video:

This allows an app to not only detect your emotional response but also to pinpoint the exact location on the screen which is triggering this response. This could be the exact headline you are reading within a news listing, or the exact face you are looking at in a photo containing multiple persons.

Potential Issues

To give you an idea of how dangerous this can be, let me give a few examples (from the top of my head) as this can be used way beyond just "serving you with better ads". One could expose a user to different types of content to test his/her reaction:

• See which political statements or (false) news trigger fear or anger and micro-target you with propaganda that is carefully designed to grind your gears (Russia would love this for sure)
  • See how you react to (fake) dissident ideologies and assess the risk of rebellion (China would love this)
  • See which people (or things) you are attracted to
  • Detect your sexual preferences
  • Perform a detailed psychological analysis/assessment by studying your emotional response to different photos and/or statements
  • If the app owner is a hacker, they can use your emotion to better tailor social engineering attacks
  • Profiling: Basically they can get to know you better than you know yourself by reading into your micro-expressions
Hypothetical Examples

Let me repeat one of my first sentences: An app only has to request user consent for accessing the device camera (once) in order to persistently track your face. Many people have already done this at some point with apps like Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat in order to post a photo or use video calling features. Even if you rarely use those camera-enabled features, these apps can keep tracking your face persistently while you are using the app.
Any iOS developer who can confirm, oppose or nuance this?

Before someone comments on this: Yes, I realise that this problem is not iOS-specific, but the True Depth technology on the latest iPhone devices do make it a lot easier (and more accurate), thereby nudging the world one step closer to the problematic situations I listed above.

More technical information on AR Kit below:

Last edited:

prime17569

macrumors regular
May 26, 2021
Wouldn't the green dot shown at the top of the screen when the camera is being accessed serve as a foil to these efforts? The user would know that the camera is activated and could then revoke permissions, delete the app entirely, and/or tell others about it.

If the green dot doesn't show up even when the TrueDepth camera is activated, then yes, this could be a privacy issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.